Corn snake health question

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Candycane, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Candycane

Candycane Embryo

Hi, i'm a new member with a baby corn snake (actually the 2nd one since the first one died last week). Hence, my question: The first baby seemed very lethargic one day and died next day. Had a huge green spot on its belly. So the store gave us 2nd baby, and its been 4 days and now baby has a little green spot on its belly. Of course we're worried about it and the store/vet can't seem to tell me what it is. Any ideas? Store/vet keep telling me not to worry about it!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I'd take it to a vet that was not attached to the store in any way. I'm not sure what you mean by a green spot and without a pic can't really say what it could be. Is the 2nd snake lethargic? I'd definitely take it to another vet if you are concerned about it in any way.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

When was the last time the snake ate?
    What are the temps in your cage?

Oh and welcome to Reptile Rooms!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

When I took my hatchling in for the "green spot" the vet said it was his gall bladder. A lot of organs can be seen through the lighter morphs (IE snow and Amel).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I never thought about that. Good point. He hasn't said what morph it is but so many have light bellies...very possible, and maybe not related to the first snake's death at all.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DdotSpot

DdotSpot Embryo

Sorry to hear about your first loss.

Have you fed the snake since you've gotten him? Or did the 'Green Spot' just appear after 4 days? I wouldn't worry about the green spot if its a lighter colored corn. I have a blizzard corn that you can see the pattern of the mouse through her scales after she swallows. I agree, its most likely a gall bladder.

It may have just been a weak hatchling that you got previously....sometimes they just don't make it.