Coral Snakes

Discussion in 'Venomous Snakes' started by intifallout, Aug 8, 2007.

1. intifallout

intifallout New Member

Textbooks say they are not aggressive, two Florida biolisgists say that is a myth. OPINIONS PLEASE

Also, coral snakes have to hang on and chew, if one bites and you pull it off in a second or two, will you be ok?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

I know their teeth are not large enough to penetrate your skin through clothing, so pretty much unless you pick on up (or accidently sticking your hand under a log or something) they can't envenomate you... As far as being aggressive, I'm honestly not sure... hopefully gregg will get on here and answer...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I'm sure I read somewhere that they do not do well in captivity. But I could be wrong about that.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Blake_Herman

they don't, I know the one at our local zoo looks REALLY rough every time I see it... just curious, was there a question about captivity here? or were you just adding that in...? :wink:

but I have talked with a few people that keep them in captivity and are quite successful with it...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Just adding it in there.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Snakes_Incorporated

Snakes_Incorporated New Member

I take it you chaps are not talking about the South African, Cape Coral Snake.
    [​IMG]

Or is it this one
    [​IMG]

12. Blake_Herman

yeah, sorry, we were talking about texas corals, or easterns... beautiful cape coral though...

13. intifallout

intifallout New Member

So that's the snake that bit you? Was the bite painful? Coral snake bites are not suppose to be that painful, they do have to chew with short fangs for a few seconds though. But 1 drop is deadly!