Converting Furniture to Cages???

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by LizardKing, Aug 5, 2004.

1. LizardKing

LizardKing Embryo

I am trying to come up with some idea's to make a cage for my bearded dragon and I see that some people are converting furniture to cages. Does anyone have any pictures of their conversions??? I see that some people are converting entertainment centers what other type's of furniture are being converted???

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Others are making cages out of bookshelves and dressers. I haven't seen any pics of the dressers, but I have seen the bookshelves. Very cool...makes me want to start hitting the yard sales. Here's a link for that one: Leo Table

Rebecca

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ksqrd

Ksqrd New Member

I'ts not intentional...but my dragon likes to convert my recliner into a cage :)
    He crawls under it almost everytime we let him roam the living room...one minute he is in the middle of the room...next minute he is sleeping under the recliner :)

I have an old sectioned bookcase with glass fronts that are hinged at the top and open so the glass swings towards the ceiling...I have been thinking of finding another one of those and making a multi level or multi tennent cage.

I would think that one like Dylacat posted the link to would make a really cool coffee table. Make the top all glass and it would be a functional piece as well as the dragons home.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Converting furniture can sometime be good.... but you have to be careful becuase a lot of time it's just the cheap particle board with a paper face. The moisture and fluids that are commonly present in a herp cage soaks right through the facing and into the wood. Once it's there it's no time before the wood starts to swell and disintegrate. So long story short..... make sure you seal the inside of the cage well.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Ha, Ha...Bob and I were talking about that last night. Then we thought, put a small colony of corns (or a cpl of boas) in there, and that might be a good way of making unwanted visitors to leave faster...they'd have to be scared of snakes though.

Rebecca

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. herpslave

herpslave Member

I have made my head board of my bed a place for my Emperror scorpion:) Cut some walls out in the stiarway hall leading up stairs for some of my Larger tanks and smaller with some sliders. Made A Bird cage out of A large aluminum trash can. Trying to make a glass cage for both ends where my speakers are supposed to be for some incoming praying mantis. Made toomany reptariums. Which I would like to sell. One thing I really want o make is My garage Into a Full plexiglass cage. But parents won't let me be creative! So strict! And I would pay all the expenses! Over 2thousand bucks... For sure. Bought some Old dog things they keep dogs in at the pet store, drilled a layer of plexi glass On opening, And turnt it where plexi is facing me for something that I may want in the future, still not sure... I got alot of insane projects going on here. How I keep my self busy when im not with my friends...

12. slimmy

slimmy Member

not a good idea for bds
    a bookshelf unit would not be deep enough to have an all glass top & place the uvb and basking lamps that bds will need. also it probably wouldn't be deep enough for bds anyway 'cause they are semi-arboreal and love to climb. plus they will need ventilation. last but not least, they would be very very stressed in that setup due to the fact that they sense preditors from above them.

as for leos, the depth is fine, the half screen most likely allows ventilation but you will have to watch the humidity & heat on the glass side. as long as you are not using it for a functional table for your self (stressing by reasons stated above), it looks like a very generous space to make a home for a leo or maybe more! good craftsmanship!

13. australianwaterdargon7

australianwaterdargon7 Embryo

iam buildin a setup for my australiandragon out of a dresser H 5ft-W 5ft-D 3.5ft 3 levels the bottom is about 3/4 water and the other 1/4 sand dirt mixture 2nd level is split in 2 there both about 2ft long with a 1ft gap inbetween the third is just 1.5ft long shelve with cave in tree set up i will have plants grwin from the 2 second levels up to the left and right of the third level shelveif not sure of what plants 2 use any suggestings and any other comments(will post pics when done and they are taken)