Converting Aquarium to Vivarium

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Liquid_Squelch, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

Well, I did it, and the wife wasn't happy.

Driving to work the other morning, I found a perfectly good 29 gal (or 20 long what ever you prefer) fish tank out in the trash.

As fast as I could, I threw it into the back of the truck, and brought it back to the house.

I'm trying to clean it out w/ a mild bleach solution, but there is some residue towards the top 3 inches or so of the glass. It looks cloudy.

Well, 10% bleach, elbow grease, and a razor blade can't get the residue off.

I've been reading that straight vinegar will do the trick, but I want to make sure its not going to effect its new "home owner".

I have 2 tokays in a 20 that i'm moving to the 29. (Until I can find a spot for my 45 :D )

Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ria

Ria Member

Using vinegar and rinsing thorougly isn't going to do anymore damage than using a bleach solution and rinsing thoroughly... the key here being to make sure there is no residue left, and making sure the tank is left to air dry and to make sure there are no fumes in the tank that can damage the inhabitants. That aside, I would have thought a bleach solution potentially more harmful than vinegar myself?

Good Luck cleaning up the tank :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Bleach would be more harmful if not rinses completely, allow it to air out for a good few days after multiple rinsings. If the vinegar doesn't work (but it should) try lemon juice, it's pretty good at getting water/calcium stains off.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

this is kinda weird but it works. it there are any spots that just WON'T COME OFF put some tooth paste on there leave it for about a half hour and scrub it off.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. onsidlives

onsidlives Member

I've usedd the lemon juice trick it works pretty good and my leopard gecko is fine.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shank_the_wiggles

shank_the_wiggles Member

That sounds EXACTLY what happened to me. I was doin my pizza route and I found a perfectly fine 29 gal. in the trash. Things like that just put a huge smile on my face. I am still not sure what to put in it yet, I think either a tokay or some crested geckos.

12. Liquid_Squelch

Well, I got the White Vinegar going right now... Let it site for about an hour, and still had to go at it with the Razor Blade (Gone through 3 of them so far, on just 1/2 of the first "long side" of the tank....

I decided to soak a paper towl with the vinegar, and let it soak over the area over night. We'll see how easy it comes off.

Wiggles... we really are in the same boat. My Tokays are going into the 29 from the 20, and my crestie is going from a 10 to the 20 !

Thanks all for the help. If the vinegar don't work, I'll start using the Lemon Juice.

Here are some pics of the 'lil devil from a few months back. Enjoy!
    http://www.w2lie.net/e107_plugins/gallery2...?g2_itemId=3713

13. shank_the_wiggles

shank_the_wiggles Member

Re: RE: Converting Aquarium to Vivarium

maybe instead of using a razor blade you could try those wire pan scrubbers. I lucked out and didn't have too much dirt and grime on mine. The stuff that was on there was really hard to get off though.

14. Liquid_Squelch

RE: Re: RE: Converting Aquarium to Vivarium

you mean like brillo? I thought that would scratch the glass??
    Unless you mean something else (if you can't tell, I don't do dishes) lol

15. shank_the_wiggles

shank_the_wiggles Member

RE: Re: RE: Converting Aquarium to Vivarium

yeah thats what I was talking about.. I'm not sure if that would scratch the glass or not but it seems like it would work a lot faster.