Considering a Crestie

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Fiche, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Jayhay, you mentioned that the 18X18X24 would be fine for at least two. Does this mean that a 10 gallon tank would be acceptable for one crestie? I believe the dimensions are roughly 10x12x20. If not, not a big deal. I'm just trying to get a better idea of how much space they need. (That and I'll have an empty 10 gallon soon :p).

I was also thinking about using a sterilite tub. I plan to save up for one of the exo-terras, but have seen people using those tubs. What quart size would I be looking for?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Kephy, I said that, Jenn said that, we've all said that. Havn't you learned about the reptile addiction yet. Once you see another adorable one (although it may be hard to match jake), you'll go aww..... and buy it. Thats all it take, just one more. Then its just one more, one more, one more..... lol

Finche - I have five exoterras, and four fish tanks. Exo-terra are my favourite for sure. The 18x18x24 will house two becasue it is around 35 gallons. The 18x18x18 is 25 gallons. That is the minimum size for one gecko. The 12x12x18 is only 10 gallons and the gecko will have to be upgraded. Minimum size is 20 gals for an adult crested.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

So 20 gallons is a minimum size for an adult crestie. As I said, I plan to save money for a larger cozier tank, but the minimum healthy size is good to know. Thanks for the info. :p

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

We're up to ten pets now, we have to quit we're running out of room!

If we do adopt another critter, it will likely be a fourth ferret. :roll:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

LMAO FHG: Yeah, remember me just a few short months ago when I ONLY had my little Meeko? That was back when life was normal and I didn't have to spend an hour a night cleaning, feeding etc. :S

Like FHG said, 20 gallon long is the min for one crestie, and then it is 10g more per crestie you add (so 30g for 2, 40g for 3 etc). I have a 5g and a 10g that I have converted into crestie tanks by putting them on their sides and making a lid. They are both too big for my hatchlings, but they are perfect for the 1-3 month-ers. Depending on the age of the crestie, a 10g on its side can work until the crestie gets bigger. I would not normally say this as many people start them in 10's with plans to upgrade and then never do, but I know that you would upgrade for sure ;) . The only problem with this is that your 10g is pretty useless after this if you don't ever get any more baby cresties....but let’s just assume that you will :D

This is an option. When I got my first 3 females, I went out and bought some sterilite tubs as I wasn't done building my screen enclosures, and then I needed 3 weeks of off-gassing after they were varnished. These worked well for me. The key is lots of holes (I think I spent about an hour drilling the holes in each bin, lol) or to cut out an area on the lid and glue screening in. Like I said, I am converting over to Exo-terras (and I have a bunch of screen enclosures for breeding groups) but I still use the bins for new geckos that are in quarantine and for new geckos that I haven't got a home ready for yet – they are super handy to have and they weight practically nothing so they are easy to clean. As for size, I went with a 25g bin, so I am not sure how many quarts that is. Minimum height they need is about 18", so I more or less went out looking for that and then I used the formula to make sure that the HxWxL was over 20g. The bins I use have wheels on them too, so they are easy to store away and pull out when needed.
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I was looking at prices for 20-25 gallon tubs, and I think it might be cheaper to get a 20-25G tank from the petstore. Too bad we don't often get to the pet store to look at their sales. My boyfriend is trying to end my addiction early. ;) lol. Maybe when we upgrade the leo to her display case and have an empty, lonely 10G in our bedroom he will be a little more open to getting a crestie. :D

Oh, I've asked this question for the leos, but not yet for the cresties (at least I don't think I've asked yet). Are there particular breeders (those of you that aren't making your own babies) that you have been very pleased with in the past? I have been directed to crestedgecko.com through the leo section and some of their cresties are pretty cute. I'm still figuring out proper care, so I'm not sure I could ask questions to breeders and pick out a "good breeder" based on their answers. I guess I am just looking for more ideas of good places that deserve support.

12. Krepoort

Krepoort Member

BTW, if you are going with the Exo Terra Terrarium, petsolutions.com was the cheapest place I could find when I was doing my research.

I ordered my 2 leos through crestedgecko.com and I was happy with their service.

13. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks Krepoort! I meant to ask about that too.

14. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

This guy is a great breeder, he's on the repashy forum and hes really nice and very willing to answer any questions you have :D http://www.acreptiles.com/geckos_crested.htm AND he has only $35 shipping... which is sweet compared to others with the $50 shipping... i wonder how he does it? lol. He doesnt have very many available right now but if you wait until the new year im sure he will produce some stunning babies ;)

15. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Wow, that is strange. I got mine for less than $10 each, and they were the more expensive ones b/c they had wheels. I am sure that if you shop around, you will find them as cheap as $5-$10.

www.pangeareptile.com this is another one that I have heard great things about. They also have a crestie forum which is quite good.

16. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

yeah.....at least you were originally plannning on getting multiple females.
    Crazy girl :( Up to how many now. geez
    Normal life.....hmm not sure if I remeber that.

17. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Do you mind if I ask where you found them for such a great price?

18. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Walmart actually. I have seen similar ones at Loblaws Superstore (I am not sure if you have these stores in the states, as I am in Canada). I didn't really even shop around that much as I only had a couple of days to get them ready. I think that somebody on another forum suggested a place called "Target" for cheap bins in the states? Sorry, I am half American, and yet I am not in touch with my American Consumerism!

19. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Hehe, I worked through highschool at one of those "Target" places you mentioned. :) I find it funny that things can be so different. I only grew up a few hours from the border, but stores and things were still so different I guess.

Thanks for the info though. I'll see if I can get to a Target and a Walmart this weekend. I checked both of their websites, but didn't find anything like that for such a good price. Maybe the stores will have more than what was on their websites.

Oh yeah, and I've already gotten my boyfriend to start saying "maybe" for more reptiles. Let's see if he still says maybe after he has to take care of Spikey on his own for a whole week, lol. I'm hoping she'll be good and charm him into a few more. ;)