Considering a Crestie

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Fiche, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I usually hang out in the leopard gecko forum, but I saw another member's cresties and I have decided that I'd like to learn more about them. I only have one reptile right now, but would like to get another one (or two, or three :D) in the near future. I was originally only planning on leopard geckos, but cresties seem so cute.

To get down to business, I'd like some information about creating a natural habitat for my possible future crestie. I've read a number of caresheets, but know how.. confused.. somee caresheets can be, so I thought I would bring my questions here.

First and foremost, I live in a pretty dry climate (southern New Mexico). I understand that cresties come from the rainforest and need a fairly humid climate. I've heard that they will be just fine with one spike of humidity around feeding time. Is this still true for me since I live in such an arid zone? Or would I have to spray more/ buy a mister?

Second, my room temps are usually in the mid 70 - low 80 range. From what I understand, this is perfect for a crestie. My only question is that sometimes our night time temp drops below 70 (especially in the winter). Should I provide some heat in the form of a UTH or a CHE? I assume they need warmer air temps, right? So would something like a CHE be a better option?

Next, I've read that an 18x18x24 tank will be sufficient for one adult crestie. Is this true, or is there a larger tank size that you feel is more suited for a grown crestie? How large do these little guys get? And what exactly do you put into the tank to make them feel comfortable and happy?

On to social issues, I've been reading that you can keep multiple cresties together as long as you add ten gallons of tank size per crestie. Is that a "can" keep them together, or do they actually prefer to live in groups? I was led to believe that they are social reptiles and like to live together. As such, I created a name theme for 4 cresties (I would of course only start with one). I would also try to start off with a cage the appropriate size for four of them, so that I don't have to get a larger cage every time I get a new crestie. Is that a viable plan, or do they do better alone or in pairs?

What about food? I'm a little confused about this one. Some places say mealworms, some say crickets as the only insect, and some say that you can mix a supplement in with babyfood, and use only that. I would love to go the route of mealworms, as my leo is only interested in that right now. I am also very intrigued by the idea of a reptile eating babyfood though, how cute. :) I'm not sure though if a crestie can be healthy on that babyfood/supplement mix alone.

Last but not least, what about me? Will the crestie like me, or are they more of a display pet? I have accepted that reptiles are not like dogs and cats and don't have an emotional need for us. Sad but true, lol. My leo however does not mind wandering around in our laps or crawling around on our desks while we work. She actually seems to enjoy getting some new scenery once in a while. Will this be true of a crestie as well? Will they like to come out to "play" once in a while?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

1) as long as it spikes up to 90% during feeding time. if you use the exo-terra, a quick spray in the morning should help keep the humidity up a little during the day, and a heavy spray at night should provide the correct levels for feeding.
    2) Temps sound fine. Under 80 is preferable, anything in the mid 70’s is perfect for during the day. At night, as long as it doesn’t drop below the low 60s you should be fine. I would avoid any heating device if you can, as hot spots can be a problem with cresties. Anything over 85 is going to stress them, and could even cause death. If your day time temps are too low, then a low wattage bulb is the best solution, but keep an eye on the temps though. High temps are more of a concern than low ones with cresties (opposite of leos :D )
    3) That tank is ideal - My favorite actually :)
    4) Yes they can be kept in groups, but only if they are all females. This is difficult to do, as most cresties are sold as unsexed juvies, and you can expect to pay a pretty penny for sexed females. The odd female will fight, but keep an eye on them, and if this occurs, removing the aggressor usually works. I have several female groups, and none of them have had any problems. In fact, they often cuddle and sleep together (I know I know - they are no humans lol). Another option is a group of females with one male (ie. 1.3.0). This is only going to work if you want to breed though. IMO, it is best to buy one, let it grow up and see what you get (male or female) if it is female, start searching for another. Buying 4 unsexed juvies is not always the best idea, as chances are you will end up with at least one male, and if this happens, you will need to separate to prevent premature breeding.
    #4) Food is more complicated. Three options, CGD which is a complete diet that you mix with water (no bugs). Clarks you also mix with water, but you still need bugs. The other option is baby food (add your own supplements) and bugs. Cresties usually only eat crickets, but some people can get them to eat worms.
    #5) Will he like you? Well, are you a Jerk? j/k, even if you are a jerk he will like you (j/k again:D ) They are very social little geckos (I find more so than leos) but it is really a matter of handling from the start. based on the excellent care you give your leo, I am sure you will do just fine! I personally like cresties the best out of all the geckos I have worked with!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

1) For spraying, how wet do I want the quick vs the heavy sprays to be? Would I spray before, or after feeding? And should I spray the crestie directly or will this stress him out? What is a good way to measure humidity? Are those indoor/outdoor thermometers with a humidity sensor reliable? If so, where in the cage would I want to put it?

2) Where should I measure the temps. I know that with leos you measure at the substrate, but cresties climb up things. Should I measure at the top instead? Also, how would I be able to tell if my crestie was feeling stressed or was overheating. Is that what it means when they "fire up?"

3) Would you suggest a screen cage or a glass/acrylic cage? I thought a crestie might like climbing on the screen one more, but it probably would be harder to keep humidity up. I'm still confused on what to put in it though. Would I just hang tons of vines and leafy branches and things, or should I have little caves and hides like you do for a leo? Will my crestie ever be laying on the floor of his cage?

4) So they can live happily in groups (usually), as long as they are all females, I'll keep that in mind. It's not bad for them to cuddle together? Because I know it is with leos. What are signs of aggression and dominance in cresties? I've heard they will squeeze eachother with their tails. :shock: Is that true?

The other 4) CGD, that's what I read about. One breeder (sorry I don't remember which one) said to mix babyfood with the CGD, and that would be a good staple diet. You could then throw in crickets once in a while for a treat. Does that sound right? I haven't hear of Clarks.

5) I don't think that I'm a jerk, lol. I'm a pretty quiet person and my leo seems to enjoy me well enough. If I understand correctly, I would be able to "play with" the cresties? Does it seem like the enjoy their owner, and coming out of their tank to crawl around? Is it possible to stress them out with too much handling?

Once they are older and more comfortable with me, would they be okay with strangers? We occassionally have family over, and I don't want a reptile that will be too stressed out by strange people in the room. My leo did wonderfully and did not bite or hiss. She was a little frightened when my mom tried to hold her outside of the cage though. Being more social, would a crestie be better able to adjust to seeing, and possibly being held by someone unfamiliar? Maybe they would think it was fun?

On that note, how well to they take to noise and disruption? My leo has her own room (our bedroom, lol) right now as we were new to reptiles and didn't want to stress her out. Would a crestie be alright in a more central place like our living room? There are only two of us and the occassional visitors. We are away during the day at classes but are pretty noisy at night.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

1) Hard to say how much is enough. The digital humidity gauges are good, but IMO not necessary. it is not really a science, just enough to make things wet :D There how is that for being precise ! :)

2) I measure temps in all diff places - I move the probe around to make sure that the temps are good everywhere.

3) I use both, and I find that the exo-terra is the best for humidity and accessibility.

4) The tail thing is funny - never heard this but it made me think of a snake, lol. Dominance is usually pretty easy to spot. Biting and wounds are one sign. IMO it is best to start with one crestie, get used to "normal" behaviour, and then you will know the difference.

5) Some enjoy it some don't. I have a few that LOVE coming out, and a few that have better things to do then hang out with me, but even these ones will come out and sit on me. I know some ppl have crazy evil ones, lol, but this has not been my experience (and I have 14 cresties). I have had lots of people handle my cresties, and they have been just fine - even with children. Like I said, I find that cresties have more personality than leos, and with lots of handling, they can be very calm and very fun to handle.

As for noise, I am not sure. I guess that with any reptile, calm is best, but things get pretty busy in my reptile room sometimes, and I have never had any prob. I am moving two of mine into my living room, so I will see… :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Krepoort

Krepoort Member

Well, jayhay pretty much answered your questions :) but I'll put in my two cents.

I started out with Leos as well back in April and Stikypaws sorta introduced me to a crestie about a month later. It was a PetCo baby and it was the tiniest little thing. :)

I got one of the ExoTerra 18x18x18 tanks and its great. I really wanted to get the 18x18x24 tank, but it was sold out, so if that's what you're looking at, definitely get it. A glass tank with a screen top works just fine as cresties should be able to climb the glass without any problems. I have my tank set up with EcoEarth substrate and a bunch of branches and leaves. Up until recently, I was just doing a heavy misting every night. Now that I have the heat on at home, I've noticed the humidity dropping much faster, so I try to mist a couple times a day. I measure the temps and humity with this thermometer. I just jam it into the styrofoam background that comes with the ExoTerra and it stays put just fine. Although, like jayhay mentioned, I just spray until the substrate is fairly wet.

[​IMG]

If your ambient temps are a bit low, an overhead lamp (or CHE) would be best. (I think jayhay helped me out when I had that question as well.) I first tried a 40w red bulb, which kept the tank temps perfect, but I was always concerned with it being too bright at nights, even though geckos arent supposed to be able to see the red spectrum. When my 2nd red bulb blew, I decided that constantly spending $5 on a bulb would be a waste of money. So how I have a regular bulb that has been spray painted with black high temp paint. (nuggular put up a thread on doing this a while back. I think it might be in the Enclosure forum.) It works just as well and there are little specks that shine through the paint that looks like stars. :)

For food, I feed worms and babyfood. I tried CGD, but I would never see him eating it. I started with freshly molted mealies and have since moved on to medium sized supers. I try to give him freshly molted ones if I can, but he eats the "hard" ones without any problems. I use the same type of dusting schedule as I do with my leos and he usually eats about 3 worms a night. On the nights where I have more time, I'll give him a mixture of babyfood, calcium, and "da good stuff" from cricketfood.com.

As far as sociability goes, each crestie will be different just as each leo will be different. Mine doesn't necessarily jump for joy when he sees me, but he is fairly calm when I get him out of his tank. I usually do have to coax him out though by putting one hand infront of him and 'chasing' him into with my other. A few weeks ago when I started taking him out on a regular basis, he would bark a lot with displeasure every time I nudged him. Now, he has calmed down a great deal due to the regular handling and rarely barks at me. He even likes being sprayed down every now and then. There are times where he'll sit on a branch and let me spray him full on and there are times where he'll make a break for the nearest bunch of leaves. :D

If you have the space, I'd defintely recommend getting a crestie. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Haha, I didn't mention names before, but Stikypaws was actually the one that got me interested in cresties too. :D

Thanks to both of you for the advice. It's very well done and I'm only left with a few questions.

1) A spike to 90% humidity during feeding, but what should the daytime humidity rest at? Is it possible to make things too humid and risk respiratory infection, or is that hard to do?

2) Also, with a humid environment, how often do you need to replace the substrate? Is impaction not a risk for cresties? Are there other options for their substrates?

3) I've noticed that they shed, since their home is so humid, they don't need a humid hide, right?

4) What is the deal with a crestie "firing up". I read that this was stress or excitement? Is that a bad sign, or do they do it when they are happy?

Um, I think that's all I have for now. Thanks guys. :p

12. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Stickypaws really should be locked away. She is spreading this obsession around like a cold virus, lol.

1) [I love this organized numbering thing we have going on, lol] Again, it isn't really a science. You don't want the substrate wet all day, as this will cause mold and other nasty problems. This is why it is good to let the humidity drop down to 50% or so during the day. Again, I don't really track the humidity in my cages, and I have not had any problems. I have a few gauges that i move from tank to tank, and they usually read 50-60% during the day, and around 90% when I spray before feeding at night. This has worked for me, but like I said, there is no science you must follow here.

2 + 3) No humid hide needed really. Keep an eye on the little guy, and any shedding problems should be delt with as you would with your leo. From what I have heard, some cresties have consistant problems shedding, and in these cases you need to keep a close eye on them (I think sticky uses a humid hide for one of her problem shedders). Again, out of 14, I have never had a problem yet. As for substrate, Eco-Earth is what most people use. Impaction is less of an issue with cresties, but still a factor. Use paper towel for juvies, and you can use eco-earth for adults. I personally use papertowel with eco-earth lay boxes for my males and females (funny though, none of my males have laid anything in them yet :S ) just b/c it is easier to clean every week. Eco-Earth you can leave a little longer, but paper towel I change every week. However, eco-earth holds the humidity much better.
    4) firing up: this is the wonderful thing about cresties! This is basically when they change colour. It usually happens at night after misting or during feeding. For example, I have one girl that goes from a light yellow to a bright orange, and another male that goes from light yellow to bright red. It is amazing to see them one colour, and then an hour later they look completely different! All the colours of the rainbow- hence why so many of us are addicted, lol.

Get a crestie get a crestie, lol. I saw your post in the leo forum, are you looking to get a leo and a crestie, or are you going to choose? :D

13. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Haha, but you all seem so happy with it. :D

Thanks for more info, I'm trying to think of any other questions that I might have. Nothing right now, but I'm sure there will be more.

I would LOVE to have a little crestie. They are so adorable. As I said, I even have names picked out already. :p I also have a few little leos picked out. I would love to get both, but don't have tanks for either.. so it would depend on how much money it took to make two set-ups (and the new one for current leo).

The real problem though isn't the money and the set ups, it's that I'm the only one in my apartment who wants more reptiles, lol. I need to find a way to change that!

14. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know that problem. When we first got our leo, it was all exciting and we both wanted it. Then we got an AFT...that was more for me....then the uro and that took some convincing. Then we bought our new house and created a reptile room.... and I begged for a crestie and was told "OK, but this is it right? I don't want this out of hand..." ..... 13 additional cresties later, I am now convinced that ANYBODY can be persuaded of ANYTHING, lol. I have also tested the waters of divorce...very chilly! jk :D

15. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I really wanted the leo that we have now, but I know my boyfriend loves her. He told me though that the next pet we got should be a dog, because he's really wanted a dog. We aren't allowed a dog though, and don't have the space or lifestyle for one. As unfortunate as it is, my reptiles that I want just don't have the space, or social requirements of a puppy. He's still a little bummed.

I know he love our leo though, so I've been trying to help him see that he'd love more little guys, and that cresties might sort of "play" with him too (if we're lucky). I am also working on a plan to make the tanks into a type of centerpiece for the living room. It would liven up our apartment. :)

How were you able to get so many reptiles into your home? I am so jealous of your ability to convince people. Teach me. :)

16. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Oh yeah, thought of a question.. Do cresties need hides other than their plants? I think I heard someone talking about their crestie not coming out of his hide.

17. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

No, a hide is not "needed"... they're quite happy hiding between leaves... they will however use a hide from time to time, if ones available...

I have a hollow log half way up a tree... our guy will sleep there one or two nights a week...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I really like your cage Bryan, and thanks for the answer. Where did you get your cage? It looks huge! I've been looking at those exo-terra's but they are pretty pricey. I wondered if maybe an arboreal snake cage or something else might be cheaper.

19. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

20. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks for the link. Some great ideas for whenever I make a cage.

21. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I'm going to upgrade soon... I have my eye on a 40gal breeder... it has a sliding screen lid that will be just fine when I stand it on end... just have to do something to retain the substrate...

22. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

If I lived near you I would buy your current tank from you when you upgrade. haha, oh well.

23. kephy

kephy Moderator

I got the biggest Exo-Terra they make. They are expensive, but since I was only getting one crestie (and yes people, I'm sticking to ONE! lol) it was worth it to give him a nice cage. If I were ever planning on getting multiple cresties like some of the folks here, I'd probably go with some of the cheaper homemade enclosures.

24. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Sure, sure, fight the addiction. But beware. I am book marking this post and as soon as you show up with crestie number two.....HA! Out will come our "I told ya so's!" Mwaa HHAA HHA HHAA... OK, end of evil laughter

Fiche: and on Kephy other more topical point, I have been using screen and homemade enclosures for most of my cresties, but now that ppl here converted me, I do have to stress that the Eco-Terras are just so much better. In fact, I actually went out this weekend and bought 4 more. They just look so great, and all of my cresties love them. Not to mention that they are just easier to use and such. Like Kephy said, if you only have one crestie anyways, they really are worth the money (I am going to slowly convert over to all exo-terras, and keep my large screen enclosures for breeding groups). And the 18x18x24 is fine for up to three (I think...or is it 2) if you get multiple females, and the 18x18x18 is very cozy for one. And if you want more cages in the future (b/c lets be honest, with cresties you can’t eat...I mean can’t get just one) they look super nice in a row. I will post pics in a couple days (when my camera gets out of the shop) of my exo-terra "rack". Believe me, worth the extra money, and you can even find them on sale from time to time. I know they put a dent in the wallet, but in the long run they rock. Otherwise, Bryan’s super snazzy tank-alternations are my second option (but mine do not look HALF as nice as his do, lol, come on – that cool feeding bowl in the stump thing, money can’t buy that kind of stuff, lol)

25. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks for the input jayhay, it seems like the Exo-Terra really is the way to go. Looks like I'll have to save up the money if I'm going to get a crestie. Maybe my family will chip in some money for my birthday or something. ;)