concerning Iguana hearing

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Kazer, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Kazer

Kazer Embryo

Here's something I just thought about.
    My stereo speaker is rather close to my Ig's enclosure, but is pointed in the opposite direction. I know Igs have good hearing but, how do you think the music will affect my Ig? Again, its pointed in the opposite direction, not tword the enclosure.
    I know music soothes the savage beast (lol) , but how much is too much!?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Loud noises and heavy base rythms will cause stress in any animal. Especially the vibrations caused by loud music. If the music isn't very loud and not on constantly, I wouldn't worry too much. But if you like your tunes loud, I'd do it in another room.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. njupiter

njupiter Embryo

Iguanas have a very keen sense of hearing. The having your head behind the stereoe is too much for you then definately it is for them. I would think that is a safe way to look at it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. chipper0117

chipper0117 Embryo

Is there proof of this?? Not to criticize, but the last I read, in a Veterinarians manual for Ig care, there was no substantial proof on whether or not Igs could hear at all. That book was very recently published as well.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Could you provide an ISBN for this source so we can possibly read the full article in context?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

From "The Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual" by James Hatfield III:
    "Iguanas have excellent hearing, and they will turn their attention to even faint sounds. Humans are most sensitive to the frequencies associated with human speech: in the 2,00 to 5,000 hertz (hz) range. We hear sounds beyond this reange, but this is where we hear best. Iguanas hear best between 500 and 3000 hz, which means that humans and iguanas both hear well between 2000 and 3000hz....
    One interesting note is that iguanas' hearing is tied to their body temperature:They hear best when at their "ideal" temperature."
    I've read similar things regarding iguana hearing and have never read anything about them not being able to hear at all. I'd like to read that article too, if you can find it.

12. chipper0117

chipper0117 Embryo

I read it from this book: Biology, Husbandry, and Medicine of the Green Iguana
    The ISBN: 1575240653

It didn't say they could not hear, it only said not enough research has been done to conclude whether or not they can.