Concerned about baby anole

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by brian walsh, Jul 20, 2015.

1. brian walsh

brian walsh Embryo

I recently returned home from a trip to florida with probably the best souvenirs i could ask for. I was able to catch two female anoles, one being just born and the other more around adult age. I'm not sure the age of the bigger one but shes about 3 inches long give or take. Before i departed i purchased a pet transport cage filled with lots of leaves for them to hide in or sit on. Thankfully they both made it home and are set up with a nice 20 g tank. My concerns lie with the baby anole. I can't seem to get her to eat. On the way home, i put some crickets in with the two in the transport cage and the bigger anole ate 3-4 just fine but the baby just ran and hid on the walls. Now that they're in a permanent home I tried feeding them again and the same thing happened. I even tried picking out the smallest crickets i have but she still wouldn't take. I hope it's just temporary stress from the move. I ordered a colony of flightless fruit flies from flukers so im hoping she will eat those but until they arrive i'll keep trying the crickets. Any insight would be very helpful, thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JnM_Reptiles

JnM_Reptiles Embryo

How long is the baby anole? I breed reptiles and in some cases the large ones will bully the smaller and they will feel threatened by the larger animals presence. This could be a stress issue, caused by the movement from place to place and being pared with a much larger adult, also animals taken in from the wild tend to contain parasites such as tapeworms, parasitic bacterium, etc or could be sick, although your generous to care for them,i think you would be better off buying one from a breeder as they are dirt cheap. But if you want to keep them its up to you... try adding more places to hide and climb on, and make sure u are supplying UVB lighting, because without UVB they will not live long... also add freshwater to the cage( if you already havent) i sometimes u bottled spring water or water from the tap that has been run through multiple filters to remove the chemicals and toxic elements.

try these tips and let me know if it helps-

JnM_Reptiles

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brian walsh

brian walsh Embryo

I dont think there is a bullying issue as the little one often sits on the bigger anoles back and they generally just spend a lot of time near each other. I had a nice log that ran diagonal across the cage but the baby kept crawling inside and hiding for large amounts of time and that worried me so i took it out and will be replacing soon with a log with no cavities.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JnM_Reptiles

JnM_Reptiles Embryo

Ok if you rule out the bullying issue, then its either stress or parasites, more likely stress, i would leave the hollow log so it has a place of security...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. brian walsh

brian walsh Embryo

I'll put it back in. It just worries me because if shes in there then she cant see food yaknow. But i guess that doesn't matter cause shes isnt eating anyway :/

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brian walsh

brian walsh Embryo

One thing i'm very happy about is that when I caught the bigger one, she was visibly underweight and her ribcage was showing but now i can't see it at all. I guess she didnt get very much on her own.

12. brian walsh

brian walsh Embryo

update: I ordered a colony of flightless fruit flies for the baby and they came in the mail today. They're tiny little things. I put a few in the cage and she went crazy. So I guess it just comes down to her being unable to eat the crickets because they were a little too big.