community tank?

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Bullitt, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Embryo

I have a red eye and i was thinking of making a nice community tank because i have a large spare tank, what other treefrogs could i put in, i know they have to be the same size, i was also thinking about putting in maybe a house gecko or some other small gecko, any advice or opinions on what to put in??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

I agree. No species mixing. I believe you can house multiple red eyes together if you have enough space. I just bought Reptiles Magazine's annual Reptile USA 2007 and it has a neat article about red eyes.
    I have been thinking about getting some, I'd love to see pix of yours!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Embryo

i suppose your right, i just saw many articles about people housing different species of treefrogs together and wanted to check into it, i guess i wont be going that route, maybe its time to buy some more red eyes and make a small group of them, I love watching them...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

Re: RE: community tank?

I saw things I didn't agree with in this magazine as well. For example on page 102 there is a pic of two leos housed on sand. I personally would never do this because its against my beliefs (IMO sand is no good for leos). But some people believe different things or are just not up to date with info. That is why forums are great. You can talk to many different people and get experienced advice.
    Again I would love to see pix of your RETF and set up.

If your'e not getting your new red eyes from the same person-
    Remember to quarantine the new guys for 30-90 days. You'll need everything for another setup which is good to have (for a 'quarantine' tank). If you ever need to separate one (like if it gets sick) you wont need to run out and buy everything in haste.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bunny

Bunny New Member

RE: Re: RE: community tank?

I have nine tanks of herps and all but two have one animal in each. I do have two leo's together in a 20 long and they have been together since hatching. I must admit I do have 1 community tank. It is a 30g high that I have five green tree frogs, one house gecko and one anole in. These are animals I collected when others got tired of them and threatened to euthanize or set them free. They have only been together for a few weeks but no problems so far. All have similar needs (food, temperature and humidity). I would never set up a community tank but at least so far this one works, no one is sick and no one has ate anybody yet.

12. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: community tank?

Each animal needs 10 gallons each.
    Get two separate 10 gallons for the anole and house gecko
    for the green tree frogs, I would honestly give them a 40 to 50 gallon tank for the tree frogs.