Collard Lizards

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by reako45, Aug 4, 2004.

1. reako45

reako45 Member

Does anybody keep collards? One of the kids I work with is thinking about getting one or two. What are they like? I've found care sheets online, but I also wanted to hear from people who've had exp w/ them. Pros? Cons?

reako45

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

I just got my couple in June, and I love them. They are pretty easy to maintain, and they're wonderful to watch...they have awesome social behaviors with one another. By far, I think that they are my favorites. Those I guess are the pros. The cons? They need a lot of space. I had seen on care pages that they could be in a 20 long, but I would never dream of putting them in one. I have mine in a 55g. They are so active, a 20 long doesn't do them justice. They also eat alot. I feed mine about 13 crickets and 4-5 superworms (each) every other day. I wasn't really expecting that. In most care pages, I had seen that they eat about 5-7 each at each feeding...that was a little off. They take a little time to get adjusted to you. My female lets me pick her up, but only if I rub her under the chin. As soon as I stop rubbing her, she squirms and wants to be put down. My male doesn't want to be picked up at all...still working with him.

I definately recommend them. Here's a link to my care page for collareds: Collared Lizards

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Rebecca

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reako45

reako45 Member

THX, Dylacat,
    Your link/webpage was really informative ! I'm gonna have the guy who's interested in them.

reako45

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. slimmy

slimmy Member

hey Rebbeca, that link to your web page is very imformative! it makes me wish i had room for my own collards, well maybe someday. it must be quite a hoot watching them run on 2 legs, i've seen it on tv once a lizard running and chasing down prey that way, lmao!!!! anyway, i just wanted you to know i enjoyed your web page and i appriciate collards more now then ever!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. herpslave

herpslave Member

That web page was quite nice. if you add netig about ne herps or bugs please private message me. For a small free webpage it was pretty nice! Howmuch were those collards each? You have inspired me to buy some for my 90 gallon

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Reako~ No problem. I'm glad that you liked it.

Slimmy~ I had seen a show on Discovery Channel about "Animal Olympics". They had an assimimulated 100m dash between a few animals. They had the collareds, and they were running on their hind legs and won. After, they took in consideration the variance in size, and they are actually faster than a cheetah, roadrunner, a cpl of bugs, and something else **brain fart**. Anyways, it was pretty interesting.

Herpslave~ Thanks. I will be adding much more to it over time. I do plan on adding a section of herps that are native to Vermont as well...probably by next month. In answer to your question, they cost me a bunch of aquarium plants, and 2 balas, 2 ropefish, and 2 giant blue gouramis (I traded for them). In the store, though, they're $35 each. Your 90g will be an excellent home. You could easily start a small colony of like 5 in there.

Take care,
    Rebecca