CGD Question!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Blind, May 16, 2010.

1. Blind

Blind New Member

Hello everyone,
    I bought my gecko from a local petshop where she kept him strictly on crickets (I'm guessing, she didn't seem to know much about cresties)

So I went out and bough some CGD and he loved it!
    question though,
    how much should he be fed?

i put a table spoon of water with a table spoon of the powder, because i read somewhere here that its better to do 1:1 instead of 2:1 water:cgd

he ate almost all of it,
    so yeahh I'm not sure how much i should be feeding him,

thanks for your input!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

It really just depends on how big your guy is and how much he can eat in a night :D
    I get those little ceramic colored dishes from petco, they're like $2 and fill it pretty much to the top, but that's for 2 adults so... play around with it, it's better to over feed than under. And keep in mind when you're mixing the CGD it gets jelly-er the longer it sits... so the 1:1 is fine :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Blind

Blind New Member

yeah! thats why i'm doing 1:1 :D

I got these small pot trays (the ones that go under the pots) at the home depot for .01 each, lol
    they work great as a dish for my leos so that's where I mix the CGD in and he eats from it fine,

is it ok to leave it in his cage or should i just feed him then take it out?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

They are mostly nocturnal so putting it in just before his lights go out and leaving it over night is your best bet to make sure he's eating as much as he needs :D
    Good find on the little pot things!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Blind

Blind New Member

Alrighty! that's pretty much what I'm doing now, except since he wasn't kept on it i mix it and let him eat from it before putting him back in his cage :)

he seems to like it! although last night I didn't see any of the licks, so :/
    but he ate the night before :)

do they eat every day? Just wondering.

also, how is their poop supposed to look?
    Yesterday after mixing it and putting him in he pooped on my hand :D
    it was really watery!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Lol yeah mine have pooped on me before... I pretend it's good luck... lol

And no, they don't usually eat every day, I feed mine sundays, wednesdays, and fridays :D
    and you can keep it in the tank for 2 days or so... just watch if there's mold growing on it take it out....