Catching crickets

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by ginnafer, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ginnafer

ginnafer Member

There has to be a better way to catch crickets besides catching every single one by hand. It takes me longer to catch the stinkin things than it does to feed them. Their too quick for me to catch. How do you all do it?

Lately bugs and spiders have been moving in, never had a problem before but their here. I've heard really good things about the deals you plug into the walls, would those bother my crickets? Maybe if I put them on the opposite side of the house it wouldnt effect them? A bug or spider now and then usually doesnt bother me but I've seen several brown recluses and I'd rather not chance them biting my dog, and the fleas are going crazy everywhere with the heat we've been having, its not just my dog lol.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Try putting tubes into the cricket tank, such as kitchen towel or toilet roll tubes, they usually hide in them and it's easy to shake a few out.
    The plug-in devices you mention, if they are the ultra-sonic type then DONT try it. It will kill all your crickets off.
    I dont know how you can deal with the invaders, there are products on the market that you scatter round outside the house near walls etc. What is available in the States I have no idea so can't help you much there.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ginnafer

ginnafer Member

Cool, I'll give that a shot, thanks! Zeus thanks you too, as he gets rather impatient with me once he see's the bag of vitamin dust.
    I use Sevindust for ants and stuff but its useless for spiders it seems, as well as other sprays. I havent actually looked at the plug ins so I dont know but I will look later, and if they are the ultra-sonic I'm back to square one. So much for taking the lazy way out lol.
    I might check Lowes to see if they have any spider-specific stuff, the ones I saw were little so there must be a big one around somewhere.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    You can also use egg crate have a few short pieces in tank they use them as well, just shake into bag.
    Those plug-ins, if they emit any kind of frequency it will probably kill the crix, may not be called ultra-sonic.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ginnafer

ginnafer Member

I looked at the store and didnt see any so I'm not going to mess with it. I tried the egg carton thing but my cartons were too big and resulted in escaped crickets. Maybe I should start putting them in the floor, I dont have any trouble catching them quick then lol.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Peter1397

Peter1397 New Member

Try buying the Kricket keeper it has to long tubes that the crix will always crwal into just dont put an egg carton in it too