CAN'T Get Tank Hot Enough

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by ExSxP, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

Does anybody have any tips/ tricks for getting my 50 gallon tank up to 100 degrees? Right now I have a Reptisun UV light (25 Watts), 100 Watt house lightbulb..and a 60 Watt house lightbulb. Which brand/model is the best to get my temps up, I just want 2 lights, not this huge mound of lighting on the top of my cage, its getting annoying. Thanks guys :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. paulnj

paulnj Member

RE: CAN

I would have an under tank heater and a heat bulb in the 150 watt range, but what kind of reptile are you housing? Surely you are speaking of a 100 degree basking area .

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

I feel your main ExSxP. I fought this battle for many months... lol what I found to be the best was the UTH like Paulnj said, it really works like a charm. Also if you dont have a digital thermomitor that could really be messing your temps up I mean lowering them by 10 degrees or so. I just recently bought a digital thermomitor a UTH and a 100 Watt Blue Daylight Bulb that goes on the same side as my UTH side and my temps get up to 96 degrees. on the cool side they are about 84 degrees. At night i use a infrared light that shows a red night light type thing that is 100 watts that heats it up to 100 degrees on the hot side with the UTH. THis is for my Snake btw a Ball python. PM me if you are confused I will explain further or you can email me I will explain or show you my setup.
    Chase.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

I assume this is for a beardie in which case a UTH id NOT a good idea. Use a halogen flood light, for wattage you will need to test as every situation is different. BTW bAlLinLiKeAbOa 100F is too hot for a BP and they don't enjoy overhead heat. Your cool side temps are what your warm side should be.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

Well I have heard many different things. also different snakes like different temps, so its tough to say everything has its own personality. Some say 86-92 for the warm side is fine, when mine sits at 95 most of the time. Some say 84-89. And cool side 76-82. It really all depends on snake and personal preference. Alot of different people say alot of different things. Please correct me if I am wrong but I do believe that just a UTH is not enough sometimes you may need a basking spot which requires a heat lamp, I know they bask.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

I've never needed more then a UTH and have probably had 100 snakes in the past 6 years come though my place. Ball Pythons are nocturnal. They really don't enjoy overhead light or heat. Either way your enclosure should never be 100.

12. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

I always thought you should have a light on in the daytime and have a nightlight on in the night because of them being notcturnal. or am I wrong? they always need darkness?

13. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

they don't always need darkness but they don't really need a light either, natural room light works fine or a florescent as they don't emit heat. anyway we should really stop hijacking this persons thread ;)

14. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

okie thanks though Tux. ya I agree back to you exsxp

15. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

its actually housing for a bearded dragon. She needs a hotter basking spot, and over all a hotter tank, right now her hot side is at 85 i believe, (im using a digi therm.)

16. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

i have had big problems with Digi Therms. Ceramic heatlamp works Plus will keep the temps up a lil at night without a light but wont be as warm as daytime.

17. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

is there a specific brand or model you would recommend for a ceramic heatlamp or bulb?

18. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

19. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

It shouldn't take too much to whip up a 100 degree basking spot in a 50 gallon tank unless the room its in is very cool. Try using a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter suspended from a lamp stand (Zoo Med makes one) just above the screen. Place cork bark tubes or branches underneath the heat source so that the highest piont is 100 degrees. Your dragon will climb high when he wants heat, and climb lower when he prefers to be a little cooler. Use an infared temperature gun measure to the temperature at the basking spot, and all over the cage. Of course, connect the heat source to a thermostat or rehostat.