Can you mix different reptiles in the same cage?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Georgeman, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

I was wondering if I can mix different types of reptiles in the same cage. I just got a house gecko, but today when I some crickets for him, I seen other reptiles similar to him with the same needs. Can anybody tell me if you can mix reptiles in the same habitat?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Chuckwalla22

Chuckwalla22 New Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! You might hear something different from someone else, but i say do no mix reptiles. I have 2 bearded dragons and a leo as well as frogs, salamanders, and an AFT gecko. My amphibians do mix, while my reps do not. At first i put my two beardys together...worst decision of my life. He is now paralyzed, from not enough calciumc, because the larger beardy ate all the food, and the larger one beat him up. I shall for ever regret that. Geckos, leos and AFT in general should never mix. I some times might mix the same type of gecko together, but very rarely...I would not mix your animals, unless they are of the same species, and you want them to mate. Keep a very close eye on them when they are together...If you find them getting along, then maybe they are fine together. It all depends on the personality, and traits of the reptile. I would not want something bad to happen, so always stay on the safeside.
    Good Luck,
    Matt

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

Thanks, the lady at the petstore said, " Oh yea, just buy a few different types of reptiles and put them in a cage and they will be fine". good thing i didn't listen to her. Thanks again!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Chuckwalla22

Chuckwalla22 New Member

Yeah those pet store people are not that reliable. Do some research online before purhasing or making a big decision for sure!! Also ask her if you can mix two bearded dragon males...the answer is no but tell me what she says. If she says yes...walk out and never go back there other than for supplies or pets...not info!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

O.K., I will ask her when I go to get more crickets for Brucey. I can't say that i ever really relied on a petstore worker. My uncle once bought a corn snake and they sold him a medium sized rat so the corn snake could eat. :shock: The rat attacked the corn and he had to take the corn to a vet, so everytime I go to a petstore worker, I don't take their information.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Chuckwalla22

Chuckwalla22 New Member

Good luck with your reptiles...by the way what types do you have...?

12. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

thanks, well I only have one because I'm just starting out, I have a house gecko named brucey. :)

13. Chuckwalla22

Chuckwalla22 New Member

same i have shared some but i am finally getting my own leo..Gordon

14. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

I went to the petstore today, The lady told me to buy two males and a female and put them in the same cage and they will share the food and have eggs. So I just got the crickets and left. By the way, can you feed a house gecko meal worms?

15. Chuckwalla22

Chuckwalla22 New Member

yes you can, check the care sheets for other geckos then find house...double check!! But i think so!!

Matt

16. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

Thanks alot! I will go look...

17. Chuckwalla22

Chuckwalla22 New Member

You seem like your having fun with reptiles...but i am being serious, my friend was extremely sick last year from Salmonella...wash your HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i had two house geckos and neither one of them enjoyed mealworms at all

19. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

house geckos stay pretty small, don't they? and mealworms are pretty big and move around a *lot*! for a small gecko to eat a mealworm it'd be like you eating a live cocker spaniel! lol! and when you feed mealworms to your herps (which shouldn't be often since mealworms aren't very nutritous; more fat than anything), you should cut off their heads. although they don't often cause problems, they can bite the inside of the stomach of animals that do not chew their food (frogs, salamanders, often geckos and other herps, too). after they begin to be digested, it's not really a problem. but the first few minutes after swallowing a mealworm whole can be painful (and can lead to stomach infections, internal bleeding, etc) if they're not decapitated!

and never keep different species of herps together (this especially applies to amphibians, although you are not asking about amphibians). just because two species both live in the same habitat or both eat the same things, does *not* mean you can house them together! many are territorial and will kill other animals that intrude in their habitat. some animals even secrete toxins that do not effect humans if we wash our hands, but can be harmful to other species. it is typically not wise to house different species of herps together. it can also be dangerous to house more than one female or more than one male of a species together. same sexes will often fight to the death if in an enclosed space. opposite sexes can fight, as well. before you put *any* 2 (or more) animals together, triple check that they will live harmoniously. harmony rarely occurs between different species, but can occur within the same species.

20. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

Thanks, I have heard that the mealworms eat the gecko inside out.

21. lizardqueen

lizardqueen New Member

Hi, I'm answering your first question. I have 3 different kinds of reptiles in my viv, and they all get along fine. I think that as long as they are not competing for space they will be fine. You can not have two kinds of ground dwellers they will fight over territory. If they whant the same niche they won't even consider each other. It is the same in nature there are tons of animals in the same space but they don't inhabit the same niches.

22. lizardqueen

lizardqueen New Member

sorry didn't proof read last message . If the don't want the same niche they won't even consider each other.

23. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

Oh what three reptiles do you have together?

24. Hummingbird

that is practically impossible and is, i believe, an 'old wives' tale'. after just a few minutes in the highly acidic and muscular enviroment of the vertebrate stomach, the mealworm would be dead and no longer able to bite. i wouldn't think that a mealworm could get in more than 3 or 4 bites tops before it died. the bites would have to be so terrible that they would kill the predator (salamander/gecko/etc) instantaneously *and* stop production of stomach acids and enzymes - and i seriously doubt that's possible. if it is possible, it could not have happened to more than a handful of animals over the course of recorded history.

25. Hummingbird

bad idea, there. not only do the facts i previously stated apply, but also many animals can cross-contaminate each other.

you are very correct that tons of animals are in the same spaces in the wild. the lion, for example, lives around gazelles . . . which it *eats*! just because 2 animals live in the same enviroment does *not* mean they get along, don't spread germs, or won't stress each other out. many animals that are quiet and reserved will get severely stressed out when they are in habitats with large populations (of their own species or other species). they will not kill each other. they will not poison each other. they will simply die due to many factors related to stress. and death can take years - you may not see the results until it's too late. all captive animals are under *some* stress. let's keep that stress as low as possible.