can you mix different geckos together?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Floyd_Is_My_Beardie, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Floyd_Is_My_Beardie Member

i was just wondering can you mix different female geckos together, like a blizzard with a leopard gecko, and they are the only geckos i know..... Are there other ones you can put with leopard geckos?
    Thanks
    Sarah

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mythdragonlover

mythdragonlover Well-Known Member

Well if you mean can you mix different morphs of leopard geckos together, yes you can. As long as you follow the space rule (at lease 10 gallons per leo, no more than 1 male per tank, they need to be the same size). Leos are not prejudice against other morph (why can't people be the samwe way?) if that's what you're thinking. They can live perfectly fine together.

If you mean cna you mix different kinds of geckos together, like an AFT and leo, or crestie and leo, no you can't. As a general rule, never mix different sepiece together. You'll get into a problem of providing all needs for each spieces, and then there's the whole territory problem.

DaveCod35 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Thanks for the reply Mythdragonlover.
    What are some different types i could mix together from the leopard gecko family?
    I was wondering could you explain to me what morph means in leopard gecko terms?
    Sorry if i sound dumb i just want to understand the gecko world.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Morphs are the different color and patterns types of leos created by selective breeding.
    check out the web site - www.leopard-gecko.net/morphs/ to see the different morphs.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. theone

theone New Member

morphs of leos are fine to be put together just as long as you keep them in a big enough tank

jp

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Thanks for that.
    sorry to sound so dumb.......
    Sarah

12. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

No reason to apologize, Sarah! we were all beginners at one time!!

13. kavinos

kavinos Member

yep can mix all morphs :)

I currently have 1x jungle, 1 x hyp tangerine carrot tail, 1 x syper hypo yellow (has got orange on tail now too yay!), 1 x leucistic, all living happily together.

Be careful if you put a blizzard in with other though, there skitish nd cant see or hear as well.

14. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

thanks for that

15. brandielee

brandielee New Member

Don't worry about sounding "dumb" in here. I think your pretty smart for asking questions, a dumb person would just go ahead and not even think to ask.

16. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

thanks for that brandielee, i just want the best for reptiles and other animals :)

17. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Hi Floyd!

Never hesitate to ask a question here, regardless of how "dumb" you may think it is. We are all here to learn and to to help others learn. That is the whole point of this site. The more we educate ourselves and the more we help educate others, the better lives we can give our herps.

So never feel like you are asking a dumb question.

18. GSArchie

GSArchie New Member

Holy crap, talk about reviving an old thread. Most people now, nearly four years later, would definately recommend AGAINST housing multiple geckos together, and everyone who is educated would recommend against housing different species of gecko together. Do not do it, period. Also, each leo needs 3 hides, a warm, a dry and a humid. Hope that helps.

19. ataber

ataber New Member

wow you went back over 3 years to dig this up....you should have just started a new thread......but anyways i dont think that would be a good idea to house together regardless of age.

20. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

Welcome to Reptile Rooms!

You have searched to find a relevant topic and added to it, which I believe is commendable :)

I believe that leopard geckos and panther geckos are two different species. (Honestly, I've never heard of the panther gecko before, but I have been reading about morphs, and also haven't heard of a leopard gecko morph called panther)

Two different species really must be housed separately. There are several reasons for this, one being the difficulty of meeting the housing needs of both in one small tank; however there is also an issue of parasites that one species has little problem with can be deadly to the other.

Two leos, being the same species, sometimes can be housed together, but we generally do not recommend it here; especially for folks who are just getting started out.

This is a great place to ask questions and learn!

21. ataber

ataber New Member

fyi the panther gecko goes by many names the one ive heard most out of the bunch is pictus gecko.

22. Tulkas

Tulkas New Member

I have known many people that have kept Leos together; however, putting them together should be done with caution as it is possible that they may fight. If they do fight they will need to be housed seperately.