can these lizards live together?? :/

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by alexisAPOCALYPSE, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexisAPOCALYPSE

alexisAPOCALYPSE Embryo

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

No, sorry, they cannot be housed together. Since the Sudan Plated can get as large as 24" and the Giant Gecko can get up to only 12" their size alone would not aid their co-habitability. Also the humidity requirements are very different - the sudan plated lives in an arid climate with no spraying to increase humidity and the giant gecko has to have their cage sprayed down once to even twice a day to keep the humidity up. The Giant Gecko also has a super thin skin that can tear easily so they would not fare very well with a rough plated (larger) lizard. Their skin and how fast they are causes them to be a not easily handle-able gecko.... So no, I'm sorry, they would not do well together at all. It would be nearly impossible to give each gecko their correct habitat and ensure their safety. It's always best to house geckos and lizards separately, especially when they are not the same species.

Shanna66 and Eme Demiri like this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. HerpboyFLA

HerpboyFLA New Member

Not to mention climate differences (I believe) and being found in different areas of the world (natural gut fauna would be different).

Eme Demiri likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ellyn Corbin Levin

Ellyn Corbin Levin New Member

I ONLY PUT LIZARDS TOGETHER THAT WERE THE EXACT SAME SPECIES. I.E. LEOPARDS WITH LEOPARDS AND FAT TAILS WITH FAT TAILS. THEY CAN BE DIFFERENT COLOR MORPHS, BUT MUST BE THE SAME KIND OF LIZARD AND NO MORE THAN 2 IN A 20 GAL. TANK. THEY NEED THE ROOM, PLUS, FEEDING TIME CAN BE A BATTLE OF THE CRICKETS.... :>)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

Whenever putting any two reptiles together, you need to consider where they ORIGINATE from. That will give you an idea of there desired climate/habitat. Also there Diets are important. you need to read there requirements before thinking of putting them together.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Enharmonic

Enharmonic New Member

This good advice is still bad. I give you credit on trying to be helpful, but telling someone who can't even decide on whether or not it is safe to house two animals together that have very different husbandry requirements that it is ok to house any two animals together just because they are the same species is just plain bad advice.

@alexis
    A better answer. Do the research and learn about the animals, don't try to attempt something dangerous just by standing on the words of others and calling yourself an expert with their knowledge. I learned this the hard way when I was first getting into reptiles. Putting any two animals together can be dangerous, and that's just the bottom line. If you want to mix and match, then go for it, the pay off is amazing if you do the research and everything equalizes. I have even seen two leos and an agama live together in a 30 gallon for years in the living room of my brother, and its very cool.

But if you have to get online and post a question like that on a forum, asking a bunch of strangers to hand you an answer, you aren't ready for it. You haven't done the research and haven't worked personally with each of the animals in separate environments. You haven't earned the ability to experiment with mixed ecosystems in a way that will be manageable and safe for your animals. And if I'm wrong? Then why are you asking something like that in the first place? Just read some care sheets and pay attention to the different humidity requirements and animal sizes!

Eme Demiri and Shanna66 like this.
  12. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Please don't sound so condescending towards other members, I doubt anyone really noticed but Alexis has not posted on this thread since the first post and has probably been scared away from this forum. They have not been back in some time and I'm afraid that they may feel that they are not welcome here anymore because of their question. No question is stupid, it's a question, the point of which is to open a debate or to find an answer, either way we should all be respectful of everyone's opinions and views and know that this is part of the learning process.

I think that they have been told enough that these two species cannot be housed together, and I do agree with you all about the person having not done their research, but maybe this is part of their research? Maybe they are looking into it but just thought to post it to get others opinions while they researched?

яowan.ω, electrofelt and Eme Demiri like this.
  13. Enharmonic

Enharmonic New Member

Was that directed at me?

If it was, I don't feel like my post was condescending in any way. If someone had said something similarly to me, I would have taken the advice to heart. Constructive criticism and condescension are two very different things. If someone is getting upset, scared, or feeling hurt over having someone else tell him or her that he or she needs to raise the bar and set some new standards (in a relatively polite, yet stern mannerism, no less!), then what's the point, really? Sarcastic remarks and vituperation are a long, far cry from a simple, stern slap on the wrists for not taking initiative and responsibility. Lets say that this was indeed the first stop in the research of this individual. Is it really even the best choice? Is this not already setting sub-par standards, the asking of a question that does not require expert advice, but rather a 10 minute reading session? It's almost insulting to think about! We aren't experts on this forum! We're just another form of Cha Cha, here to have questions thrown at us so we can blindly regurgitate answers to individuals whom might not even understand the advice and will only blindly follow it like we did before them!

This is silly though,

I'm very sorry for my inappropriate, and harsh words. I'll write up care-sheets for every conceivable animal that I can give reliable advice on and then post it to the forums so that the strength of knowledge will increase for those who seek it, and they will find it in plenty.

And truly, nothing personal. This was strictly opinion, and I have no quarrel with any of you, nor do I intend to stop giving my advice and opinions to those who would seek my expertise.

In fact, I would like to point out that I might be over reacting right now, because I lost a dragon today, and I'm stressed and sad about it. She was part of the family, and she will be missed.

14. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

No it was not directly to you in particular but more to the thread a whole. But I don't think that telling someone that their advice is 'bad advice... but thanks for giving it anyway' is constructive criticism. May just be different definitions of the term but I don't consider it as such. With all regards, I'm sorry that you lost a member of your family today and I understand your sadness and stress, it's always a very rough time when a pet passes.

For everyone - please keep in mind that this is a forum that is open to people of all ages, including children 13+ (but we do have a few members who are younger who were already signed up before that rule was enacted) and that this is a general forum, mostly for beginners. People come to us who are sometimes completely naive of any information on how to handle/house/correctly care for their reptile and we have to be responsible enough to allow them to ask their questions and responsibly answer them without criticism or bias.

With that said I'm going to get back on topic and close this thread for any further comment, I think that the originator has his or her answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.