Can snkaes see black lights?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Reptodude, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Reptodude

Reptodude New Member

Can snakes see black lights? The black lights which makes things glow is what im refering too. I just want to use it to watch him at night, not for heat. Can the see black lights (aka UV lights)?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I think the normal party type black lights are visible to the snake, but the true UV lights are not. I believe the difference is in the coating on the bulb.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Markey

Markey New Member

I use a night light specifically made for reptiles....mine emits a purple color. It's 50 watts. I can always view Markey with the light and he seems to really enjoy it. A short while after we turn the night light on, Markey is on the prowl. It's cute to watch him. He will first poke his little head out of the hide....and then he'll creep out ever so slowly....he's so fun to watch.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cka

cka Embryo

I have heard that black lights (the "psychedelic" type :*) ) are bothersome or even harmful to snake's eyes, but I don't have any evidence to support this other than to repeat what I have heard online thru the past coupla years...It has something to do the length of the light wave emitted...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Markey

Markey New Member

That's why I always go with things that are recommended for reptiles. I try to make sure that it's ok for corns specifically as we all know that different reptiles have different needs.