Can my lizards make me sick?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by anoleboy2, Nov 13, 2007.

1. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

Hello, I have four lizard terrariums in my room. One is on my night stand next to my bed. My dad asked me if all of the tanks in the room could make me sick, I didn't know the answer so I was wondering if anyone knows if lizards could make peoople sick? I can put them in the basement but it would cost me about ten bucks per tank to add another heat lamp and bulb. The species are all tropical and temperate and I clean their vivs about once every month.
    Thanks for replys in advance.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Unless you have any allergies to the substrates, chances are terribly minute of you catching anythings.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

That's what I wanted to hear thanks Luke!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 789

789 New Member

As long as you are sanitary with it, wash your hands after handling and don't put them near your face. I'm not sure what all you can actually get from reptiles.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

Thanks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

but they can get u sick if thats wat ur asking. they can carry salomanella (sry 4 the spelling) and a few others that i cant remember lol i just saww them 2day at school too.

12. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

Thanks if I start feeling funny I'll move them to the basement, i've had each one of them for over a year so I'm pretty sure they are ok.

13. aaron157

aaron157 Member

keep everything sanitary and you will be fine. Most viruses are species specific, but bacteria isn't, so keep cages clean, wash hands, all of that good jazz.

14. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

Thanks.

15. Schneider09Skinks

Schneider09Skinks Embryo

I agreee with the last reply. To add on to it, keep the cage s clean and you'll be fine. Also, wash your hands after handling the critters or their stuff just to minimize the risk of etting sick.

16. orchidianchild

orchidianchild Embryo

the only thing ive come across reading on is salmonella. im a clean freak so i wash after, always. But i have read about people who never do..which i think is dangerous. But if you have a weak immune system...wash. please wash haha

17. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

thanks its almost been two years and im still not sick so i guess i have very little to worry about.

18. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

just wash your hands after dealing with the herps and food and dont eat their feces and you should be fine unless you have allergies to them.
    after keeping herps for over 5 years ive only ever had health problems because of them twice, and thats because i have a bad reaction to my fire belly toad's skin and they jump on me during feeding time

19. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

With healthy long term captive animals.. the chances of getting something like salmonella are very very slim.

Keeping your hands and the animals cage clean at all times of course lessens the chance that you or your animal will become ill.