can i keep anoles with water dragon?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by atrid, Jan 19, 2006.

1. atrid

atrid Embryo

hi, i would like to know if green anoles can be kept together with water dragon, i mean i know they need about the same temperature and humidity, but would they get agressive towards each other? thanks for your help in advance

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

You can not keep two different species of reptiles in the same tank. They will get very ill from one another. You probably shouldn't even keep two of the same species in the same tank. There will be territorial fights, fighting over food, and if they are male they may fight to the death. It's best to keep different species separate.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. atrid

atrid Embryo

tanks for advice mate. you saved me some trouble and money there.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bratspets

bratspets Member

Welcome to the Reptile Rooms, Atrid!
    Lane is right, it is risky to mix species.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. retnuh2010

retnuh2010 Member

Why would you want to mix them?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bratspets

bratspets Member

Cheap is one idea...the other is for aesthetics of a mini-environment. Like a community tank of fish, so to speak. There are the same risks involved, perhaps much more complicated.
    You wouldn't want to put guppies with a Jack Dempsey...unless they were feeder fish! It is better for the reptiles to give them a safe home set up specifically for them, without the stress of other species (or even the same species...like you would not put two male geckos or two male anoles together).

12. atrid

atrid Embryo

yeah, i was thinking of getting several species, and putting them in a "jungle" if you will that i plan to built. it would be about 6ft high 6 ft long and 4 deep

13. bratspets

bratspets Member

It is a controversial topic, and many people say never mix species.

Monitoring the health of each individual will be difficult if not impossible, because they will hide (especially if stressed)and you won't know who is getting what to eat (or who is eating who). Creating an environment that suits all of them takes lots of research. I just don't think you will get any heads up on these forums for a community reptile enclosure.

Why not create that awesome enclosure for ONE species? Have you kept many reptiles before?

14. atrid

atrid Embryo

not really, im just had my dragon for couple months, since september i think, and just tough it would be pretty cool to have all these beautiful reptiles to look at, but from what i hear, i guess thats not sucha good idea afterall.

15. bratspets

bratspets Member

Good conclusion! Just build the most awesome enclosure for your dragon that you can. And then let us have a look-see. 8)

16. beardiefreak

beardiefreak Member

mmm.no one of them will get bullied by the oter