Can fruit flies climb glass?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Louie, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Louie

Louie Member

Hello
    I read a few fruitfly breeding sites but can not find any info if they can climb glass?

I ask this because if they can will stick with pinhead crickets as do not want them to escape.

Thank you

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Unforunately, I believe they can climb glass...

Some methods to keep them where you want them include using fruit to draw them into the feeding area, dusting them with supplements, and spraying the enclosure prior to feeding... but they can climb from my understanding.

reptileden0 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Louie

Louie Member

Thank you. I could not find any raising fruitfly sites with any info on that but suspected they could.

Decided to get springtails and culture them and establish them in the terrarium since no frogs in it yet.

It is for bumblebee toads or dart frogs as not sure which type I am going to go with.

I do have pinhead crickets as breed crickets but crickets who avoid getting eaten , eat plants so prefer non crickets.

Thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

You could try a small species of roach as well; Turkistan Roaches (AKA Red Runners, Blatta lateralis) are an excellent cricket alternative that do not climb glass. Babies are roughly the same size as pinhead crickets, and the adults reach about the same length as an adult cricket...just no chirping or jumping or as much smell = )

Louie likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Louie

Louie Member

Roaches are great but sadly they are illegal here to buy and I don't anyone who has them but know countless do keep them.

There are 2 or 3 types that you can buy but they all fly .

I caught and bred the banana roaches 2 yrs ago and big pain due to their SLOW breeding and they need it very humid and hot so wasn't worth it.

I wish Blatta lateralis were legal.