Can Brown Anoles be kept with Green Anoles in captivity?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by NBurleson81, Jul 21, 2005.

1. NBurleson81

NBurleson81 Embryo

I have a 20 gallon long aquarium in which I have two Green Anoles, four House Geckos, and one Long Tailed Grass Lizard. There are MANY hiding places in the aquarium for them. Live plants, a waterfall, a fogger, half logs, ect. They almost never go to the ground of the aquarium, which has a good, steralized, pest free subtrait.

I'm thinking of buying a few Brown Anoles. However, I do not know if I should get them in the first place, as I do not know if they would fight with my Green Anoles, House Geckos, or Long Tailed Grass Lizard. The geckos and the grass lizard always keep their cool... the grass lizard is female, and I beleive I have two male and two female House Geckos, although I am not certain about any of the gecko's genders. One of the Green Anoles is male. The other is female. I have had the male longer than the female, and it did take about a week for the female to feel conforatable around the male and for the male to quit making her turn brown... the male ended up accepting the female's presance in his territory, which I know would not have happened if the female had been male instead of female.

That brings me to my first question. Will Brown Anoles fight Green Anoles in every case? I know that Brown Anoles are more ground dwelling than Green Anoles, so the chance of them fighting with my Green Anoles is weakend since I have the ground area of the aquarium set up with as many hiding places as the top section with the plants. Will my male Green Anole fight with a male Brown Anole? I'm pretty sure he would... so I'm sticking to adding a few female Brown Anoles unless someone responds to me saying otherwise. Will the male or female Green Anole fight female Brown Anoles? Would a Brown Anole male fight with my female Green?

And lastly, since my geckos and grass lizard always keep their cool and mind their own buisness(around themselves and the Green Anoles as well... I even once saw both my male and female Green Anoles, two of my House Geckos, and the Long Tailed Grass Lizard all basking on one of their many basking spots... that one being a hammock near a heat lamp), I'm wondering if the presance of Brown Anoles(male or female) would disturb the peace with them? Also, will two male Brown Anoles fight with each other the way two Green Anoles will?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. gaby4god

gaby4god Embryo

yea brown and green anoles do fine togther, just don't have to males

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. souledge

souledge New Member

i read some where that green anole eat baby brown anoles and brown anole eat baby green anoles not sure if this was true or not

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Both green and brown anoles will eat hatchlings of either or both species (not just the other species' offspring).

As far as adults are concerned, if it's small enough for them to swallow, it's food.

Don't keep babies with adults, don't house two males together (browns, greens, or one of each, never), they'll kill each other.