Can a iguana's hurt you

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by goodiegodess, Jun 23, 2005.

1. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

:) I was wondering if a ig can bite you and then send you to the hospital to get stiches. My mom said that I should not get a ig, so instead I got a Water Dragon. I'm planning on getting something like an ig when I go to college to become a person who works with reptiles and primates. Well if anybody knows if an ig can seriosly harm you, please give an reply because I have know clue about this wierd problem sorta, thankyou.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Have you ever seen an adult igunana? The head can be about the size of the head of a medium sized dog. I've never been bitten by a big iguana but based on looking at them I'd say yes, should one decide to bite you it could do damage.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Yes, they can do a lot of damage. Stitches and all. But if you know how to handle them and they are used to being around people, chances are slim you would be bitten. They also tailwhip, which can be even more dangerous because it slices deeply. Again, when wondering if an animal will/can bite, there's really only one question you have to ask yourself...Does it have teeth? If they have teeth of any kind, then yes, they can/might bite.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. chibi

chibi New Member

Yes, an iguana can seriously harm you. You could lose a finger to a full-grown iguana. It's probably a good thing your mom will not let you get an iguana. They aren't a very good beginner's herp, and I don't recommend children having them for pets at all.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bokelana

Bokelana New Member

lol oooo yeh...i saw a guy at the herp show who had gotten bittin by his "friendly" iggy...yeh he has a few that just roam his house and then one day he got bitten on the foot...to the bone... :shock: :shock: :shock:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. hrotroff

hrotroff New Member

Personally, I own two water dragons, and I would not let my children have one for a first herp pet either. They have a lot of upkeep, takes about 1-2 hrs daily of care cleaning their water pond, holding, and feeding. A better first pet might be a smaller lizard or a bearded dragon. I think a red flag that you should not have an Iguana is also that you did not read or do any research on an Iguana where it is common knowledge they can bite, charge, and whip their owner.

12. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

Hey, sorry but my water dragon is 8 or 9 months old, unforunatly part of is precios tail is gone. I didn't want to tell any body this because then they'd probaley think I'm a horable owner. But I'm not,and I love him I feed him well, most of all keep him healthy I feed him reptile vitamins. And I don't really think that he is going 2 b a mean water dragon when he grows up he is use to humans and lots of children believe me!!

13. hrotroff

hrotroff New Member

Hey, I don't think water dragons bite humans. We were talking about Iguanas. I was just saying even water dragons are time-consuming and hard to raise pets for children. I have heard the tail will grow back, just not as strong as the first one. The first is bone the second cartlidge. Just be very careful. What happened, did you accidentally grab his tail catching him?

14. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

Yes I did, but if I didn't he might have died because he tryed to run and hurt him self by going under a huge piece of heavy heavy marble dresser that once was in a real castle back in the 1500's in could have really harmed my poor baby who I really love. Also he does bite me and it sorta hurts and he has teeth sharp ones!!

15. moshpitrockchick

moshpitrockchick New Member

I made a trip to minor emergency today, it's breeding season in my house and we have 3 males, my boyfriends cocky younger brother thought he would be tough and show off by punching me in the shoulder, this didn't please my 4ft+ male taz, who has been courting me for a while in order to try to mate with me (its going to break his heart when he finally makes his move and i lock him up with out contact for 3 days) either way Pat got bit on the calf and had to get 9 stitches......DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT get an iguana unless you have all the time in the world and very deep pockets, they will steal your heart, but then they will steal your wallet!

16. moshpitrockchick

Breeding season is hell, even with one iggy!

17. punk_670

punk_670 New Member

ya, i used to have an iggy when it was baby it bit my sister and then when it was 6 ft., it whiped her with its tail that was about 7 years ago. and she still has scars from both.

18. chibi

chibi New Member

I have a 15 yr old male ig and I've found a way to beat the breeding season aggression. And it works, but you have to have an open mind. He's never harmed anyone and he's a free roamer. He's also very good with children. What I have is an iguana love toy... a stuffed animal lizard that my iguana mates with to get his randiness out of the way. This method has worked for about 13 yrs and a few friends of mine do the same thing with their iguanas.

19. moshpitrockchick

I dont think a toy has made a difference with my guys, they are just all around rowdy, but I think alot of it is that we have 3 males all in the same house so they are in constant competition....either way i do not recommend an iguana as a pet to anyone who has to ask if a bite can hurt you.

20. garybingham

garybingham Member

they can bite my nana had 1 and he bit my once or twice and it did hurt a bit but what realy hurt was when he wiped me with his tail

21. konen

konen New Member

My friend has a baby iguana (about a foot ) and hes scared to hold it because hes told it can bite off a finger at that size. When he tries to ppick him up i t runs away, and its dewlap goes out, when my brother tried touching it, it tried to bite. How hard would the bite be at 1 foot, and could it do any real damage to you at this size. Thx, plz give us some tips.

22. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

It could most likely tear the skin at that size, but even a large iguana wouldn't be very likely to actually bite off a finger! lol If he doesn't handle it, it will become less and less sociable and eventually be too scared and aggressive to handle safely. If he's truly afraid, just get a pair of leather gloves to wear when handling him. Usually the gaping, whipping of the tail, hissing, or whatever is just for show to try to scare you off. With regular handling this type of behavior should decrease. He just needs to learn that the handling is a good thing and nothing will happen to him. And quite frankly, if your friend is too afraid to care for him, he probably should never have gotten him in the first place. You have to know how to handle ANY animal you care for. You never know when you might have hold/carry/restrain them.

23. konen

konen New Member

Thx alot, ill be sure to tell him

24. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

Well pobley not at bad if ya train um right

25. Laika

Laika New Member

my friend used to work in a reptile shop.... and one of the fully grown iggis there broke her arm by whipping her with its tail!