calcium and vitamins for cresties...

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by MichaelM, Apr 1, 2005.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

i have been dusting my crickets and all with flukers repta-calcium, but do cresties need vitamins to? what do you guys think about that? but my main question is I was reading on anthony capotones, (last name sp?) hes friends with allen rasphy, well it said in his care guide that you can dust crickets with the t-rex sandfire superfoods (crested gecko diet) and also said leopard gecko icb could be used 2.. so could i use the cgd to dust or no? and what about the seprate rep-cal vitamins?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Well, anything from Anthony Compenettos site is safe to follow and read. hehe :wink:

I wouldnt use the repta calcium by Flukers because they are a very bad company. Theres an article somehwere on this site about Fluker Farms. The company really doenst care about animal care, and only wants profit. For example, their crickets supplies will keep a cricket alive for about 2 days heh.

I would use a pure calcium carbonet, like the Bone aid from T rex or the calcium with no D3 from rep cal (prefered by most). I would still use a multivitamin, herptivite from Rep Cal is the best in my eyes. I cant see CGD completely replacing a multivitamin...

The Leo icb can be used for added nutriants. As with the Gargoyle superfood.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BeccaL

BeccaL New Member

flukers

So what about the gel food stuff? I give my crickets that. Is it really "gut-loading" the crickets then?

Becca

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

From flukers you mean? No it is not gutloading. I used that crap and to I've never had so many cricket deaths in all the time I've been keeping crickets.

Water can be provided from fruits and a small lid with a wet cotton ball in it. They will suck the water out of teh cotton ball, and the fruits can be beneficial to the crestie. For example, banana, mango, peach, pear, apple can all be used to aid in gutloading and providing water to the crickets. For dry food, I would offer gutlaod from http://cricketfood.com . My die offs went down about 50% after using that gutload, and it has good nutriants and the crickets love it and eat tons of it. You can also offer a small amount of CGD to the crickets if you want.

Basically, the gel stuff i noticed gets nasty quickly. It drys out and when the crix poo in it it gets all moldy and gross looking. Plus it really doesn have anything in it good for the gecko, and really it will only just keep the crickets alive.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BeccaL

BeccaL New Member

gut load

Thanks for letting me know. Just went out and bought a different porduct. Seems like my crestie just won't gain weight. Guess that could be the problem :D

Becca