cages?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Okeetee45, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Okeetee45

Okeetee45 Embryo

:) does any body have cool cage pics or ideas cuz i'm going to make a cage soon. i don't mean racks just like a cool cage i'm planning on making it 5 ft long does anybody know any good websites for that kind of stuff?
    thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Is this for corns? You're better going with 4ft, rather than 5ft. Mostly for practicality. Sheets of wood (ply, OSB, etc.) come in 8'x4' sheets. Making it 4ft wide is going to make it much easier to plan & build. A single corn snake (or even a pair) isn't going to be bothered by the difference of a foot on cage length.

Ideas depend on what kind of cage you want (top opening? front opening with doors? sliding glass?), is it something you're going to build a lot of and put along the wall of a snake room? Or is it the centerpiece for your living room, or bedroom?

As a general guideline, I'd build a frame out of 2x2. Make it 4ft long, 2ft high, and 2ft front to back... Basically making a long rectangle. Cover the botton, back & sides with ply (this should give you a 2'x4' piece left over for the top). Then cut out some vent holes and basking holes for dome lights or ceramic heat emitters or whatever, and put the top on. Make sure you cover all the wood with a few coats of water based polyurethane so as to prevent poop n' spilled water from making the wood warp, or become mouldy.

Then just make sure the front's strong enough, and that the lid isn't going to bow or bend under the weight of lights, etc... and fit some track for sliding glass. That'd be the way I'd do it. Then decorate the outside according to its location. If it was going to become part of the furniture, I might get some nice hardwood trim (oak, mahogany, teak, etc.) to cover the edges of the ply, and a nice (water based) stain for the outside faces of the ply to make it all match.

Your best bet is looking around woodworking websites, cabinet makers, that kind of thing. Construction techniques are similar for the most part, of course you do have to make some extra effort to make it escape-proof and animal-friendly, but they're things you'd probably have to do anyway, regardless of what design you based it on (unless it was made from plastic, or some other non-porous material).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Okeetee45

Okeetee45 Embryo

thanks for the advise it will help it is going to be in my bedroom with my other cages and snakes