cage idea

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by CornLover, Dec 2, 2002.

1. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

I have a question for ya'll. why isn't anyone using leaves and/or dirt in their enclosures for the corn snakes? Everything i've heard is to stay as natural as ya ccan but then says to use wood shavings as the bottom in cages?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

ell dirt and leaves stay too dry, and has mites. my corn snakes like to burrow, os ig ive them aspen shavings although i am thinking of going to cypress mulch.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I'm using cypress mulch for my corns.. but ya have to be real careful, cuz when it's a lil moist it has a real nasty habit of attracting cockroaches.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Attracting roaches??????
    Hopefully that is Florida thing :)
    I was getting ready to make the switch to Cypress Mulch but if I am going to have to add roaches to the insect inhabitants of my reptile room then NO WAY! :) There are already too many little cricket escapees running loose and Black Knight just never seems to get them all :)

[Edited on 12/3/2002 by stormyva]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, it's been tough to keep out the roaches, but we've kinda managed it. Hot glue gun some porch screen over the air holes. It manages to keep out all but the tiniest roaches.

And maybe it is a Florida thing, my corns are kept in the porch on the back of the house so that they get near-natural temps - hence the potential roach problem.

But, if it ever gets too hot or cold for 'em, they get brought in the house for safety :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Ok.... out on the porch. Not in the house :)

I was thiinking that you meant you were arractuung rouaches into the house.

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

lol, nope :)

Besides, if any do manage to get into the house, one of the beardies would probly snap it up before we saw it, lol.

13. Rainey

Rainey New Member

Cockroaches are generally a problem you have in climates that are very humid. Places like Saskatchewan, that is mostly prairie farmland, we don't have any cockroaches. Unless you're in a climate that is prone to roaches, you'll generally be safe from them.

14. whistler

whistler New Member

and I thought Sydney was the roach capital!!!!!!!!!lol