Burrowing - was controlling humidity

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by meandmyarrow, Feb 6, 2011.

1. meandmyarrow

meandmyarrow New Member

JEFFREH wrote: [As for the burrowing - this is a strange behavior that I've only seen a couple of times. While the only times I've noted my colony ever digging in the substrate was to lay eggs, I've heard of other geckos doing this as a regular activity. I wouldn't be too concerned about it - she's likely just a unique gecko who doesn't mind acting slightly out of the ordinary. I don't see any way that she could physically harm herself with this behavior unless she can manage to get underneath something that is heavy and could crush her.
    [/quote]

Our cresty loves to burrow! My daughter layers papertowles for her in her caves and out along the edges of her tank. She also likes to get under papertowles on top of her box and peek out.

I thought maybe it was because s/he (don't know which) was in a very small keeper for about a year at the pet store. She climbs as well but seems to like to climb onto things and hang out more than just the sides of her enclosure. Again, probably because s/he lacked that option for so long ?? . We got her a tall climbing log s/he can also climb in, and I see her more inside it peeking out than I do on top of it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Somewhat recently, I recall reading an article by Phillipe de Vosjoli (I think) who had the opportunity to observe the Rhacodactylus geckos in their natural environment. If I recall correctly, he noted that during the day crested geckos were found curled up on lower bushes and plants and a few, particularly juveniles, were found actually buried into the leaf litter that covered the ground of the forest. He hypothesized that their arrowlike head may be utilized not only for females to more easily excavate burrows, but to help them wedge into areas of hiding within the leaf litter, etc. He further suggested that their crests may serve the same purpose as whiskers on cats, allowing them to feel whats around them. My memory is a little fuzzy, I'll try to find out where I read this to provide citation but I recall reading it within the last month or two.

I think they're all different, but having personal experiences with things contributes a lot to their behavior. I've raised juveniles on egg flats and paper towel in small kritter keepers and noticed quite often they try to hide under the paper towel as well. When placed in naturalistic vivaria from this point, they tend to be the ones who dont mind hiding in pothos or dracaena that hug a little closer to the ground while some of the others will cling to the glass behind hanging foliage. It also depends ont he individual animal - I have some who will sit out perched during the day right in the open and others who will try to get as deep and hidden as physically possible.

It's possible that yours might not be used to the idea of scaling a large area of glass being raised in a smaller enclosure for so long, and perhaps moving into a larger environment rather than the comfort of a small kritter keeper has got her hiding more frequently - but I'm sure as she gets older and more used to things you'll notice her out and about more. It takes a while to break old habits and to adjust, but when she learns there is nothing in there that is going to hurt her and she feels comfortable with the whole thing she may be more inclined to show herself out in the open.

Another thing, R. ciliatus enjoys perches that are large enough to accomodate their entire body. I have some cypress knees in the background that I find them hanging out on frequently and a few semi horizontal perches that they often use for basking and an opportunity to watch for prey to pounce down on that are a little lower to the ground (within a few inches). They'll sit on areas like this for hours when they know it's insect time...watching diligently :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. meandmyarrow

meandmyarrow New Member

Very interesting - I would love to read Any related articles about their natural behavior, so please, pass it along :)

We've had her (?) less than a year and she does climb out and stick to her glass, and it's funny 'cause I'll be looking for her to be hanging out behind her plant, which she likes but she's right in front of me in the open! Like you mentioned, she mostly likes to be on top of this cypress bench that supports all of her, even tho it's not solid - that we do not cover but, again, you pointed out and made me realize, that it IS during the day that she is under things!

She's easy to handle, and just So neat to watch!