Breeding mealworms is easy

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Derek, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Derek

Derek Member

I found out an easy way to save some money. It all started when a few of my mealworms turned into beetles. I saw this happen and I kept them and put them in a little cage and was thinking maybe I can breed these and save a bunch of money. The first thing I tried worked and when I looked in the cage I could see them breeding. Now I have a bunch of baby mealworms.

How do you breed them?

First thing I do is buy a bunch (the amount depends on how many you want) of mealworms and feed them a bunch of lettuce and nuts.

Second I separate all the beetles and Pupae (pupae is like a cocoon type thing) from the mealworms. I put them into a little 5-gallon tank, put a few hiding places in the tank. Put a damp paper towel in with them for water and some food lettuce and grains.

Third thing I do is put a little bowl of lightly damp sawdust in it with a little bridge to get into the bowl.

Last, after they have breed you have to wait about a month before you will see anything. If you look close at sawdust you should see them moving.

Also feed the baby mealworms a lot of veggies and give them water. You want a healthy worm to feed your lizard.

If any questions just ask

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Derek

Derek Member

I know they don’t have allot of nutrients in them but they are a good last minute food. I use them when I run out of crix and superworms. I also use a lot of lettuce make sure that you feed your dragon more than just mealworms.