BP checklist

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Badger711, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Badger711

Badger711 Member

How's this sound for a baby BP? If I'm missing anything or something could be improved please comment :p

1. 10 gallon tank w/ screen top

2. Accu-rite indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometer

3. 6x8 " UTH, wired to a lamp dimmer for a dyi rheostat. (My house can get down to ~60 degrees during cold months, do you guys think I'll also need a lamp?)

4. Aspen bedding

5. Two hides

6. Water bowl

7. Snake

Any and all input is appreciated, thanks in advance :)

geckolover22 and JEFFREH like this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Just really quickly off the top of my head, I'd add:

8. Background for three sides of the tank. Adds security and should help with feeding response. Or you could just use an opaque sterlite bin instead of a glass tank.

9. Screen clips so the snake can't push the top open and get out.

10. Sturdy climbing structure. The baby balls at work love to climb over thick branches or driftwood. Some will even perch on it like they think they are boas, lol.

11. Frozen food and feeding tongs...because I can also be captain obvious.

dogking and JEFFREH like this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Sounds good with Cammy's modifications = )

You'll have to keep an eye on the temperature and humidity, especially in the winter months when its already so much drier. Glass aquaria isn't the best choice of enclosure for holding in heat and humidty well, but naturally they offer the most visibility of your pet and are an understandable choice for a single snake.

You may need to cover up part of the screen top with a piece of plexi, plastic wrap, or something to that nature. I would avoid installing a light if temps are still too low as they really dry out the vivs. Snakes seem to thrive best with an UTH or flexwatt; often thermoregulating very inconspicuously by adjusting the exposed surface area of their body mass on the heat source. This allows them to remain fairly inactive while maintaining homeostasis.

A setup with one hide on each side of the viv and a branch or something as Cammy suggested would be great - you don't want it so cluttered that the snake cannot freely move around, but having some objects to move against can help to make a young BP feel more secure with their agarophobic nature.

Let us know if you've got any other questions Dalton! I'm super stoked for ya buddy - glad you are finally able to add a snake to the collection = )

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Lol I was thinking to add the background to the checklist but didn't think it would be noticed. I stand corrected (; if the UTH doesn't provide adequate heat, should I just step up a size/wattage? Screen clips for sure, and note taken on the climbing structure. I did not know BP's liked to climb lol. Thanks for the help guys, muchos gracias.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Badger711

Badger711 Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Ball pythons are terrestrial, but the juvies will certainly climb a bit if given the opportunity to do so. Not something essential for success in captivity, but it doesn't hurt I suppose. I've personally never incorporated any kind of decor aside from hides and water dishes to my ball python bins, but I know Ashley has had the opportunity to observe some juvies in more heavily decorated vivaria and has noted occasional climbing in the youngsters. This becomes virtually inexistent with adulthood as they attain great mass and develop an exclusvely terrestrial lifestyle... something pretty common in most larger boids and pythons.

That lamp dimmer should be fine. Just make sure to monitor the temperatures with a digital thermometer w/ probe or a tempgun and adjust as necessary. I know you already know this and have one of these in your possesion, but it never hurts to include this detail for guests and others reading = )

12. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Thanks again for the help ;D Can't wait. This is going to be awesome.