Bosc Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by deydey, Sep 7, 2008.

1. deydey

deydey Member

Hey all. I'm interested in getting a bosc monitor but I am concerned about enclosure size etc. I have heard different stories. I hear 4x2x2 FT would be sufficient, is this the case?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dekor

dekor New Member

Not for a full grown I'm afraid. Bearing in mind most grow to at least 3 and half foot, some 4 foot you need at least two times length and one and half times width. I'm about to build another enclosure for Loki and thats going to be 6ft x 4ft x 4ft which hopefully should last him a while. Also they grow pretty fast, I bought Loki home when he was around 3 months old last September, he was small enough to fit in a small box you get crickets in. Now he is around 2 and a half feet. So even if putting him in a smaller enclosure for now it will soon become too small.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. deydey

deydey Member

I see. How these guys grow fast. Not as big as water monitors though right?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dekor

dekor New Member

No not quite as big! I would recommend a bosc/sav to any experienced reptile owner but they do require a lot of attention and housing them is not easy. Most people find it easier to have a room in their house just for the sav. Also remember with the enclosure that it has to be deep too. A good two feet of soil is recommended as these guys love to burrow.

Oh yeah and has to be uber secure as they are quite the escape artists. Loki already knows he can slide open the glass door if he wants. A lock has put an end to that game! On the plus side he is a lot calmer nowadays and is quite happy in his house so doesn't attempt the great escape!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. deydey

deydey Member

wow thats quite amazing lol.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. deydey

deydey Member

Would you be able to post pictures of your enclosure.

12. dekor

dekor New Member

13. deydey

deydey Member

wow loving the viv.

14. deydey

deydey Member

Just wondering have you got the new viv up and running? Would LOVE to see pics.

15. dekor

dekor New Member

Unfortunately not yet, been looking for someone to build it as have been so pushed for time recently but have not had much luck. Looking to do it myself at moment!

16. deydey

deydey Member

Damn it :lol: well atleast your getting on with it! Hope it all works out these guys are GREAT.