Black throat vs. asian water monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by roughneck, Jun 2, 2005.

?

which one do you think i should get

1. *

black throat

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. asian water monitor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. roughneck

roughneck Embryo

hey everyone fist time poster,
    im looking to get another monitor i have a black rough neck now, my choices are between a bt or a water i just have some questions about both that will help me make my choice

i heard that water could likve in a 6 by 4 by 4 cage , true if not what about an 8 by 4 by5/4
    i heard a bt can live in a the same true

which tame down more easy bc the water im looking at is dog tame,
    and my friend that works in the reptile place is getting 5 more baby bt in in like 1 month( i will be getting the monitor after summer)

what is the best substrate for both

i know both can eat a lot not a problem.

does anybody know any good sites for both besided proexotics, and nerd,

can some people post some pics of your cages and you with your monitors

and any more info would be great thanks
    rough neck

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

no on the water monitor. dont get it and no it cant live in either of those cages.
    I say go with the blackthroat. it is for more reasonable for a pet. i am not sure of thier adult size but i believe 8x4 is enough for hem.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nomad85

nomad85 Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. roughneck

roughneck Embryo

i sent and got a reply from robyn like 2 weeks ago and he says he keeps their bt in a ft cages and keep some in like a 10ft circle cages
    so and i think i might go wit a water and make a bigger cage for him bc i heard they tame down more easy that bt true or not thanks for your help

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

No water monitors. I have never heard that water's are easier to tame down. what i your previous experience with lizards, just to shed some light on your experiencce level, and how old are you

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

ok, hopefully i can shed some light on the situation. First things first, a blackthroat could live in an 8x4 but only as a minimum, this is only true depending on the adult size of your animal, not all blackthroats get 6+ feet, most stay in the 4-5ft range, but sometimes you will get exceptionally large animals. Waters get big, big and heavy almost all the time unless you get togians which stay smaller and have less body mass. but togians arent exactly friendly animals. So it all boils down to how big any ONE particular animal gets they cant really be grouped by species because all of them dont become giants, its case by case.
    Secondly taming is a myth, there isnt tame, there is trusting, and confident monitors and there are shy and skittish monitors, selecting the right one is hit and miss, some will "tame" down and some wont, its really best to be able to see the babies and pick them in person.
    I keep my whitethroats in 8x4x4 cages, but they are four years old and the biggest one is only 52" long, i have a blackthroat male in a simialar cage at 2 years old he is 50" long and still growing, he has less mass then my adult whitethroats so for now he is ok, if he turnis into one of the big guys then i would say 10x5x5 is perfectly sufficient, people breed them sucessfully in alot less, its what you can afford monetarily and space wise that dictates what you can and will give them. I know a guy who breeds them in 6x4 pens almost every year, so whatever you are comfortable with, but once again his animals arent even over 6ft, probably closer to 5 or less.
    none of my animals bite, but none of them like to be handled either, monitors arent great pets if you want to handle them frequently.
    good luck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ryzard

ryzard New Member

what an awesome creature. i love when you post the bt pics

13. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

i voted on what people have told me. cuz im still in research of a big lizard.

14. Bokelana

Bokelana New Member

definetyl b/t