bigger lizards

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by geckolover22, Oct 1, 2011.

1. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

i would love a bigger lizard such as tegus iguanas frilled lizards that kinda thing not nowhere close to being ready for one but which would be best for future reference? i take care of leos beardies cresties a tegu-like whiptail etc smaller lizards what would be a good starter lizard to get me ready for a bigger one like a tegu??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

As far as actual care goes, raising a beardie would probably acclimate you to some of the larger lizards. Juveniles are fairly needy, and adults need moderate sized housing and stimulus. In addition, being omnivores requires one to make a salad every day in addition to feeding insects, increasing the responsibility that larger animals often need.

The main thing, honestly, is just the shear amount of space, cost, and time required to rear some of the larger herps out there. If you don't raise them adequately or have enough time to properly socialize them, you can quickly end up with a large reptile that doesn't like to be messed with... Its a lot harder to tame down an angry adult than it is a snippy or high strung baby.

Its a huge responsibility to take on, I'd put it somewhere along the lines of getting a dog or something to that nature (although much less 'personable'). Many species of the big boids and lizards ultimately require housing that consumes large portions of rooms, or outdoor pens, they consume larger amount of food, they produce larger amount of waste, and they need a lot more attention in general to fare well.

It's good that you are getting your information now and planning for the future. Possibly the most IMPORTANT factor to consider is when the time comes is: where will you be in 5yrs? 10yrs? Its extremely difficult to move these larger animals around with you to new homes, an apartment, schools... college, careers, and relationships can really make things difficult on the time and cost factors involved. Be sure to really plan very thoroughly in advance before making desicions on any herp, particularly larger animals. Its exceedingly difficult to find homes for these guys; I put so much stress on it because these are the animals that most frequently end up in in rescues. Too many people don't plan ahead and when life gets in the way, are forced to part with their pet.

I'm not saying your one of those people by any means; I just feel its important you you and anyone reading and also interested in these animals to really plan ahead and think of their future with this creature. If one isn't willing to devote the next 20+ years of their lives to housing them properly, caring for them, etc then reconsider the idea. Its not fair to the animal to pick one up out of impulse for our selfish needs just to end up having to selling it 3yrs down the road when college or life comes knocking on your door. I see adoptions flooded with huge boids and huge lizards - its very difficult to find homes for these animals that are willing to provide the time, space, money, and energy to rear them appropriately. It's much easier to move a 10 gallon aquarium somewhere and house something that requires a few bugs and quick water change here and there than to move a massive homemade enclosure requiring an entire truck bed or trailer and care for an animal that requires a substantially higher amount of attention.

Louie and lwwest like this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. geckolover22

good points... i want to give it my all with a bigger lizard i have lots of time usually finish school work in school currently and thinking of taking college online and so on i understand its a big responsibility wanna try and succeed one of these days

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

you could also try volunteering at a zoo and ask if you could at least tag along when its time to care for some of the larger lizards and see how you like it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. geckolover22

that's good idea but i think the nearest zoo to me is an hour or two away :(

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

that sucks

12. geckolover22

yea i know :(

13. Deac77

Deac77 New Member

It really depends what type of "bigger lizard " you want to me honestly a Frilled dragon isn't all that big lol none the less they had amazing personalities. If your leaning for a tegu get something that's semi tropical or with a higher basking point the thing to keep in mind with a lot of your larger reptiles ie: tegu, monitor, beardies (if you call 1 foot big) is they need very high basking temps of 125-130 degrees F also ask If you have room for a 4x3x3 enclosure (beardies size) or larger keeping in mind a lot of your bigger lizards don't do well on glass and need custom cages personally I love them and they are way more rewarding than your smaller animals and most enjoy human interaction a lot of good point about feeding has been made hy eat me outta house and personally Lol!!

Louie likes this.
  14. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

It's good to see that you're planning this out. One big thing that helps out is a lot of research, both for facts and opinions on each type. If you haven't already, you could visit a store or zoo or someone who has any of the reptiles you are interested in, and try handling them and getting to know them up front. I can tell you from experience, once you have one of these larger reptiles, going out on trips and even small vacations are going to get hard. So aside from finding a vet, you will also need to find a reptile sitter for those times where you can't take them with you. I've had to take my 2 larger iguanas with me on a 2 week business trip which turned out pretty interesting, but it was crazy having to set up all their stuff at the hotel. I'm just thankful that for the most part they're well behaved.

15. wren152

wren152 Member

I'm actually also planning on getting a big lizard (tegu) down the road, but I'm most definitely thinking in terms of 10+ years from now, when I'm able to build a big enclosure for it (hopefully with a nice outdoor space too!) and when I know I have the means to support it's food and health requirements. I think that one good thing to do as a way to prepare for such an addition to the family is to ask people who already have owned them for several years what the annual and monthly food costs are, what the vet costs are, enclosure materials and upkeep cost, lighting, heating, furniture, cleaning, etc, and once you have those numbers (if they give you estimates of the prices, have them estimate high) add on the original purchase price of the lizard, and see what it totals out to. That way you can make sure you'll have the resources on a yearly and longer basis to actually provide for all the costs. It's a good way to look ahead to the future!

Also, to get some kind of experience with the kind of lizards you're considering, I'd suggest trying to find places that sell them, or places that show them (like a living museum, research the Serpentarium in Lodi, CA for an example of what I'm talking about) and if you're ever close to a place like that, see if you can go in every once in a while, get to know the owners or people working there, learn all you can from them, but also ask them, once you know them a little bit, if they can teach you about the personalities and behaviors of the kinds of lizards you're considering. See if they'll help you learn how to best interact with the lizards, what to watch out for in terms of health issues that might arise, and how to best feed them, etc. You might be able to get some good experience interacting with the lizards to help you decide if you'll be able to handle them, or if they'r right for you and you're right for them.
    And even if one of those places is too far away right now, you might be somewhere else in 5 or 10 years, and maybe there'll be a place like that in closer proximity in the future. : D