BIG Lizard Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Frost_Wraith, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

Actually, I've not taken a closer look at Iguanas and Monitors. I really like the look of both. Looking at the caging requirements of bearded dragons it looks like I'll have to construct an enclosure no matter what so why not let all the possibilites be open again?

However there are two things I want to ask about.

Iguanas: Are they as difficult to keep as people say? I continually hear that they are kind of lazy and agressive is that true? I mean, people are telling me monitors (if handeled young) are considered good for handling. But iguanas are agressive.

Monitors: It looks as if they aren't as voracious eaters as I thought. But here the thing. The monitor will be kept in my room with my other pets....which include three large rats. They are in a very strong cage ( I seriously doubt any reptile except those that can fit through the bars or a komodo) could break into it. Will the precence of the rats drive the monitor absolutly insane, and vice-versa?

This decision making is driving me nuts.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. herpslave

herpslave Member

Well if the mouse moved i would think a monitor would go crazy tying to get it. Because I have a leo a very non aggressive small gecko. When he was hungry and saw a cricket in the cage with my other leos in it he went crazy and kept trying to bite the cricket excpt he was hitting hisnose hard on the glass. So i had to remove the cricket... But I have never owned a monitor so I do not know.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

Well The way the room will be st up actually I can keep the rats out of site of the monitor. The monitor's enclosure will have to be on the other side of my bed.

This decision making is making me nervous. I don't want to choose wrong and end up over my head. I'm nervous because I want to pick the lizard I can care for properly and make happy. Not one that will overwhelm me.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. felstorm

felstorm Embryo

I'll assume you are looking at a savvanah monitor.

Do you want a 4' lizard with teeth and 1/2" claws on the ends of powerful legs?

Savvanah Monitors are known to be even tempered, but if and when they get pissed or scared at something, you have a pissed 4' lizard with powerful legs and 1/2" claws.

I've seen iguanas that range from friendly to "hate ******* people". A big adult iguana that doesn't like you will whip you with it's 3' tail. The can cut you up good with that tail and they like to aim for the eyes.

I'd honestly get a bearded dragon. Even tempered somewhat intelligent, the space and feeding requirements aren't nearly as demanding as a 4' savvanah monitor.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. herpslave

herpslave Member

Im sure a monitor could smell a rat too... If let in your room he could try very hard to get them.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

I haven't looked at this post, until today, and I have to tell you that I am worried. A cpl of questions first...How much experience have you had with herps...meaning what type have you kept in the past? What are you looking for in a pet? Do you want something that you can be social with? Or do you want one that you can just admire and watch?

If you're looking for one that can be handled, I would go for a beardie, agama, or uro. Those all can be handled, get larger than geckos, and won't eat you out of house and home. Their enclosures are fairly easy as well.

If being social with them is something that you don't care too much in doing, then get an iguana, or monitor. Sometimes, no matter how much handling you give to an iguana, it can still turn on you. Monitors, especially savs, will never want you to handle it. Their temps need to be at about 150* in the basking area, and they will eat a lot. There are savs that can be handled, but 10-1 they do not have the correct temps, and not the right amount of food...you can call them "broken" if you will. A sav that meets the temps and food, will be healthy, and not very easily held. A friend of mine has one, and she knew what she was getting into when she got it. She has a 3 yr old sav, and she has plenty of battle scars on her legs and arms from his claws...and this is just from when she cleans his cage. The enclosure that she has for him, is basically almost the size of a small office in her house. They need a lot of room, and it needs to be secure. Savs will try to break from any enclosure that they're in, and if there is a weak spot, they will find it. A lot of people buy savs, and then a year or so down the road, decide that they can't handle it. About a month ago, I saw in my local paper 3 different sav's that were for free...that in itself should give you a hint on these beautiful creatures.

I hope that this has helped you. Just make sure that whichever herp that you decide to get, that you have fully researched it beforehand...you can never do too much of that.

Take care,
    Rebecca

12. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

I will be honest, I like the thought of a reptile I can hold and interact with some. Does it have to be a 100% cuddle bug? No, thats something I would expect more out of a mammal of some sort. But something that wouldn't mind watching TV with me and I can let explore around the room. Something I could bring down stairs and let bask in the sun coming through the windows. I just like the thought of interaction. Also I want a slightly more advanced reptile so I can gain more experiance with them.

Before this I have kept a tokay gecko and helped my brother take care of his leopard gecko, to be quite honest I think I'm better at it than him, cause I've read about them.

If you have any doubts about me taking care of something more advanced, Tell me! I like to go through all the scenarios that could go on with a certain animal before I decide to adopt one. I also would like to know as much as possible about them. Especially the reptiles because thier enviroments need a little more consideration than most. As I said several tiems before in this post, I dont' want in over my head. I want to be able to handle, know, and get along with what ever critter I decide to adopt.

Now your comments on the lizards.
    Bearded dragons: Well your opinion seems to be that of everyone elses, that thier wonderful little lizards. And I haven't compleatly counted them out yet. I'm still looking very much at them.

Iguanas: Heres where the information kind of gets contradictory for me. This is just what I've read from care sites now....but it says that while iguanas can be a little more agressive during the breeding season, most of the anti-handaling attitude is reduced with constant handling from when they are young. And some sites are actually saying that they are reptiles that *need* attention.

Agamas and Uros: Going to be tottaly honest. I have never really seen one of these reptiles before.

One reptile I would like your opinion on. Chinese water dragons? I am hearing that they are docile and even tempered.

13. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

I'm ok when it comes to handaling new animals I seem to have a knack for it. But I still don't want to get in over my head, just want to advance a little. I would love a snake but that ins't an option unfortunatly....*sigh*

14. herpslave

herpslave Member

I would prefer to get a beardy still. I have 4. They watch tv with me, sleep on me, move in circles and bob there heads and look confused when listening to moderate volumel of music, about 17 volume, When adult they are very easy to take care of and do not cost over 7 dollars a week usually, Very tame but sometimes bad tempered during breeding season(males mostly), Very cute, Good breeders much much more... Chinese water dragons I would not reccomend for a beginner herper. Maybey a medium. Uros are good tameable cute and have radical looking tales! They are like a sudded bracelet that is not silver. Best explanation I rally can give you, as I own a studded bracelet.

15. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

Keeping more than one bearded dragon would be nice, but I will be getting only one perminate tank and I don't want breeding.

16. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Here's a pic of an adult uromastyx:
    [​IMG]
    And here's a link for caresheets, etc...http://www.kingsnake.com/uromastyx/

And this is a pretty informative site on agama's: http://www.herplife.co.uk/agama/
    This is a pic of a shield-tailed agama:
    [​IMG]

That's what I have heard as well. What I have also heard, is that they are very finicky on temps, humidity...if one of these are lacking, their health can quickly spiral. Here's a good site on those: http://waterdragons.tripod.com/care.html

Hope this has helped,
    Rebecca

17. slimmy

slimmy Member

hi Frost Wraith, the description you descibed above on what you'd like in a pet lizard demonstrates that you want an animal you can take care of and provide a good home for. i am really glad to see that. i agree with most of the consences here on the bearded dragons, they are wonderful, then there are the several others mentioned that can be tame and docile. the best advice i can say is while you are doing your research (good job btw), select a few of the reptiles known for good temperment and see if you can print the basic care sheets or take notes on proper care requirements:cage size & type, temps, food, nutrition & so on for each animal. what this will do is give you reference on maintainence. the next step is to see which of these requirements is easily met by you: locate where you can purchase needed items, the cost of these items to be sure you can find and afford to aquire them. i say this because some species require very high temps with gradients. there are different type setups as well, you have dry desert or savanna, woodland or rainforest, and even semi-aquadic. you also may want to check out the "potential problems" each of the species may present. and last but not least, make sure you have the time required to spend with your animal as well as care: cleaning & feeding.

i hope this was helpful, i know its a big decision you have to make and not regret, but following those few guidlines will help weed out the ones you can't care for either by space, money, or availability of needed supplies. i wish you luck!!!!! and i look forward to seeing what you end up with :)

18. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

*nods* it has, I think tho that the decision will come down between a B. Dragon and the W. Dragon. If the savannah monitor as is agressive as you say and if iguanas are as flighty as everyone descibes them.

I've taken great pains to get the temp and humidity correct for my tokay. So I may do well with a water dragon.

Since I'm probably going to have to build the final enclosure for either, are there any sites I can go to that have plans for such housing?

19. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

This site actually has a lot of info. Just do a search within the Enclosures forum.

Good-luck,
    Rebecca

20. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

I belive the creature I will choose is the bearded dragon, I might even get more than one. Here are the reasons why.

1) The are gentle, docile, active and interesting to have around
    2) They are easier to care for than most reptiles, BUT not so easy I wont' gain experiance. Unlike the other herps I've cared for, they are amonivorus and require both meat and vegetable matter. AND they require more heat and UVA than any other herp I've cared for.
    3) The apprent love of being handeled and interaction. and finally
    4) There something about the look of a B. Dragon thats friendly.

I am very much interested in Sapphire Dragons breeder, (pretty colors!!!) And I will pretty much be barraging all of you with my questions in the Bearded Dragon room of the forums. As they all have to do with them. Anyways, thank you all of you.

21. Slizarus

Slizarus New Member

I've had a male sandfire, not even full sized and dwarfed by my female since friday, I've already seen attempted breeding.. yah, you don't want a pair.. because together in any length of time.. they're going to try it.

22. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

I'm glad that you finally narrowed it down. You will never regret the decision for a beardie...they are truely awesome.

Take care,
    Rebecca

23. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

id go with one beardie unless u want 2 in seperate cages or to mate. there is no garuntee they will like each other and tey can bully each other

24. slimmy

slimmy Member

good choice!! and good luck!!! i know the fellow dragon keepers will be more than happy to help answer any questions you have.

if you do get 2 and you don't want to breed make sure both are females, even then as someone already stated they may not get along, if you are going to build an eclosure the size enough for 2 bds then make sure you can divide it in half and have enough space for each if they don't get along. (if sometime in the future you want to breed m/f pair, make sure they are unrelated and are old enough 18mos, before housing them together)

25. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

hey dyla is that uro obese?