big animal/ big enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by billyking66, Nov 16, 2010.

1. billyking66

billyking66 New Member

You know looking back i realize everything i went through to having something nice to show off my herp. I thought this might help someone that was once my delima.
    It seems to me DISPLAY CASES are everywhere of all different sizes i ended up with a 2 1/2 ft x5 1/2 ft by 4 ft tall case (jewelry style). I stripped it down (removed all glass shelves) & reinforced the sliding doors plus added slidding locks. on the inside i added plywood half way up the sliding door side (so i could still get in) yet make it harder for any critter to get out. This one had wood on two sides glass front glass top a drilled three inch & a quarter holes on both sides for air &lightcord acsess. I then mounted the lights on the inside, i went through a couple of lights until my temps were where i wanted them. built a custom hide opposite the lights, indoor/outdoor carpet & called it a day, one note i ended up blanketing the top & putting another vive up on top . works great for those medium to big critters who need space.
    JUST AN IDEA IO THOUGHT ID SHARE.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Any pics?

Sounds promising, I build the majority of my cages and stands, and it's always good if you can find a sort of "shortcut" that works out to be practical for both the herp and the keeper to make an enclosure out of. I converted an old entertainment center into a display center that holds a couple of custom cages, and the jewelry display cases could certainly make for a decent enclosure with the right modifications.

I'd like to see how this turned out = )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. billyking66

billyking66 New Member

i do have pics but i am having trouble with my attachment space ive used up 449 of 500 & i only UP-LOADED 3 pics!
    so either i dont know what im doing or i need that reset because it wont let me up-load any more pics any ideas ?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I couldn't do anything to edit your photo posting, perhaps it thinks it's overkill with multiple photos being uploaded? You could try doing one or two pics per post

You can also try using a website such as http://tinypic.com or http://photobucket.com to upload your images and convert them into a link that viewers can access, it's pretty simple and straightforward.

Hope that helps

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Enharmonic

Enharmonic New Member

I would love to see pictures of this old entertainment center. I've been drawing up plans for an entertainment center built around a 75 gallon saltwater aquarium and could use some inspiration...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Sure thing!
    [​IMG]

Excuse the slightly boring gecko vivs, I had taken these pics a couple of years ago and was in the process of remodeling their enclosures.

The entertainment center holds a custom made, essentially 75 gallon viv on top. I had to take out the shelving and move the support to act as a center brace in order to prevent buckling from the weight of the cage on top. I then reinforced the shelving to accomodate the two 18" x 18" x 24" gecko enclosures. The only other modication made was I added pieces of scrap wood and stained them to match the overall piece to hide the lamps on the gecko vivs. All of the lighting is on one powerstrip with a timer, and there are also red lamps on the gecko vivs for nighttime viewing and supplemental heat that are turned on manually with the push of a button on a smaller, 2nd strip.

Wish I had the step by step photos somewhere... the original piece was about 4' x 2' x 4' and was intended to hold a small TV and had shelving on one side with glass doors. It was a pretty simple project = )

12. Enharmonic

Enharmonic New Member

hmm, that's pretty cool. I'm on the phone right now but when I get home this evening I will post a video showing what I am drawing out.. i like what you have their too. might try to incorporate the ideas =]

13. Enharmonic

Enharmonic New Member

14. Wade

Wade New Member

Wow, great desert setup there.