betadine use.....???

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by gadd19, Apr 3, 2005.

1. gadd19

gadd19 Member

ive been doing some research, and think my corn has something called, dermatitis, or belly rot. it occurs usually when cage is too damp, or if suboptimum temps are present.

what ive been doing is applying polysporin to the infected areas daily, and i replaced her water dish with a much smaller one, to prevent soaking.

i took her to get checked out by a friend of mine(not a vet), and he told me about betadine.....this stuff aparently works for this kind of infection.

my question is.....has you guys ever used this stuff before? and if so... what are the procedures on how to treat a snake with it? thanks...jordan

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SatanicIntention

SatanicIntention New Member

There are two different kinds of betadine. Betadine solution and Betadine scrub. The scrub has a soaping agent, whereas the solution doesn't. Betadine is just a disinfectant. If you want to use it, I would get a gauze pad and soak it in the betadine, the wash your snake's belly with it. You can either rinse it off or leave it on, let it dry and apply neosporin/polysporin. Don't be afraid to scrub her belly firmly, it helps the betadine get in all the crevices and get the bacteria out. You can also get chlorhexadine solution(nolvasan) from the vet or a medical supply place. Either will work just as well, although the betadine is a little stingy, whereas the chlorhexadine isn't. Betadine WILL stain anything; clothes, skin, tabletops, you name it. My teacher, who is a vet tech, gave me the instructions on what to use to get it off, but I have since forgot. I can ask again though.

Hope this helped a bit, and if you have any more questions, just ask ;)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

betadine (aka povidone iodine) can occasionally cause kidney problems when used on a regular basis. i would recommend novalsan (aka chlorhexidine) instead if you can get some. does the same thing, but with no risk of kidney problems.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. SatanicIntention

I can say I've never heard that one in my two years in vet tech school. The veterinarian and the vet techs that teach us have never mentioned it. I'm sure if you soaked in it for months on end it might cause some issues, but using it for a week or two shouldn't be a problem. Women who have had C-Sections are given povidone or betadine after surgery to take home. As I said above, it would be good to rinse it off afterwards, since that is what we do when we are scrubbing a patient for surgery. Scrub with povidone, rinse with alcohol, scrub and rinse two or three more times. But since alcohol is stingy, you can always rinse with distilled water instead of the alcohol. I was just saying you can use betadine since it is a little more readily available and cheaper than chlorhexadine solution is. www.mgreptiles.com has a good price on a 3oz bottle of nolvasan(will make 1 gallon when diluted) if you need it.

Hope this has helped a bit, and sorry for the confusion.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. gadd19

gadd19 Member

thanks for all your assistance guys! i wasnt expecting so many replys.!!! good good...i went into pharma plus, and some other pharmacies, and they would have to special order in some novalsan, which would take a while to get in, so i think im just gunna try out the betadine. it actually refers to using it in this situation, in a snake book of mine.

before i attempt this procedure, does anyone know of how much to put in the water to saok her in? i dont want to put a lot in and find out she'll die or something....thanks again.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. SatanicIntention

I would just use it straight. Diluting it doesn't do a whole lot of good. If you have any gauze pads, soak one of those in the betadine, and while having someone else hold the snake firmly, scrub the snake's entire belly pretty firmly. You can either let it dry or rinse it off with distilled water(which you can find at WalMart in a gallon jug). If you really want to be anal about it, :) you can boil the distilled water, letting it cool of course, and then using it to rinse the snake. After the snake is dry, put on a good coat of neosporin and rub it in. Make sure the snake is kept dry, and try to use paper towels or newspaper if you aren't already. I would continue this for 2 weeks or so considering the slow healing time of snakes. If you can, try to do this 2 or more times a day, morning and evening works well. This is a fairly stressful event for the snake, so she may or may not eat during this time. Knowing corns though, when do they not eat :) Good luck with it, hope she gets well quick.

12. Hummingbird

like i said, this only happens when used on a regular basis. i also said that "it can occasionally cause kidney problems". obviously that means that it's not all that common.

and i know all about the different uses of all the antiseptics and antibiotics, that's why i mentioned the products that i did.

13. gadd19

gadd19 Member

thanks a lot hummingbird and satanicintension. im gunna go pick some up this weekend probably, until then, ill keep using the polysporin. she hasnt eaten for a while now, but last week, she moved the mouse all over the tank, and stretched her jaw muscles a few times(she hasnt done that in a while), so i feel theres a good chance something might happen in tomorows attemp....wish me luck! :D

14. Hummingbird

best of luck, gadd - keep us updated!

15. gadd19

gadd19 Member

well guys! i have some good news, and some not so good news.....
    the not so good news is, she hasnt eaten yet. BUT! i went to get some betadine, and it just so happens that the guy behind the counter had snake experience, and went through the same kinda thing i went through, and he said just use the polysorin for now, and if it "gets worse", then try it. so i did, and well, today , igot home from work, and she pooed, and shed! and all her infected areas are gone, and she is more beautiful than ever! i cleaned up her cage, and disenfected everything, and now shes lookin all perrrrty in her cleaned up tank...i hope she'll eat something this weekend...

16. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Good to hear she's doing better!!

17. gadd19

gadd19 Member

and shes eatin well now. i droped a mouse in her tank last night and sure enough, she didnt hesitate. this was her first meal in about two months. :) :D :D

18. Hummingbird

yay!! sounds great! :D

19. gadd19

gadd19 Member

thanks for all your help an support on this hummingbird, and satanicintention. just today igot some betadine, just incase of situations like this in the future....thanks again...

cheers!