Best way to feed live crickets

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by eclipse45, Jun 3, 2004.

1. eclipse45

eclipse45 New Member

Whats the best way to feed live crickets without them escaping?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

LOL! Put a screen top on your cage.

What do you mean they keep escaping?

You could put your lizard in a large tupperware container, add a couple of crickets and when the crickets are all gone, put the lizard back in his cage.

Sharon

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. eclipse45

eclipse45 New Member

I have a screen top.......I mean this .....1.you have the crickets 2. How do u get the crickets out of their container and get them to your lizards cage?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

It depends on what you have your crickets stored in.

BUT! A really cool way of doing is to take a toilet paper roll, staple one end SHUT.

Scopp the crickets up with the open end. That is about as cheap and simple as it gets. HOWEVER you need to be quick becuase the little buggers can climp a cardboard tube SO EASY! Then you just shake/tap them out into your lizards cage.

Another option is use packing tape and cover a sheet of paper, then roll the paper into a deep cone. It as easy for them to climb up the slippery tape.

Sharon

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

.....or you can pop ur container in the fridge for about 10 minutes right before ur ready to feed....it kinda puts the crix to sleep for a bit. I do this with my (pinheads), very small crix, cuz they're so hard to grab, 1 @ a time.....works great.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

You know at the petstore we had these plastic tubes we scoop the crickets up with and we have to tap those suckers out ONE AT A TIME!!! UGH!

As for pin heads, that really sucks, I guess the fridge thing works but isn't it a lot of work? Wouldn't it be easier to just drop a scoopful in and some gutload on a rock or something?

Sharon

12. blueinfinity

blueinfinity Embryo

wow lol easy

take some egg crate like form an old egg cartin.. make some 2x2 setups so u got 4 things in one.. lay them in upside down. when u wanna feed jsut pick one out flip it over and walla crickets.. and they always jsut sit in there for me..

easy

13. Tim-and-Julie-B

Tim-and-Julie-B Embryo

I use a freezer bag. I add a little calcium/vitamin powder, then I get some crix form the crix bin (garbage can with egg crate in it-one piece is only 3ish squares and I shake it into the bag) then I just let the crix slide out of the bag into the cages. No escapes:D

Julie

14. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

I get the Crikets in a bag to I open it add the Rep-Cal and put them into her feeding cage... then put her in...

15. cd

cd Member

I feed the crickets to them in my four-square foot sized bathroom. If one of them drops, the olny place they can hide in the other side of the toilet, behind the little trash can, or worse case senario, on the plunger. :)
    -Cristine

16. Pebo

Pebo New Member

um.. is it wrong that i just dump mine in her cage? lol we buy 2 dozen, gut load em, dust em, and then just dump them all in her cage..

17. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

2 dozen.....how big is her viv? if it's too small of a viv, 2 doz. might stress her out a bit.

18. Pebo

Pebo New Member

it's a 20gal. She's the only one in there. We have a "jungle gym" that we bought at petco- it's just a bunch of smooth wood all looped together and it takes up about half the width of her cage. then we have a plant opposite the wood, and a stalk of bamboo behind that and a bowl of water in the corner... I am always worried when we put hte crickets in because a few always end up crawling on her.. I'm a new owner, so i could use all the advice i can get. The guy at the pet store just told me to dump the crickets in there though.

19. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

that's what i mean.....they do crawl on them(geckos), it happens all the time.......so a few ain't so bad, but 2doz. is quite a bit in my opinion.....but that's just my opinion.

20. Pebo

Pebo New Member

ok well thank you for telling me. Just by the looks of it from thepast couple of times we have put them in there, I have been worrying that it is too many. I'm sitting there thinking "Now if i were here, THAT would be annoying..." but since I'm new to the whole gecko thing and the guy told me to just "dump em all in there", that's what i did. Thanks for the advice. How many would you suggest I put in there? And what is the best(and least expensive) way for housing the rest?

21. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

I only put a 1/2 dozen in at a time for my gex every other day.....i keep the rest in a plastic critter keeper.

22. Pebo

Pebo New Member

ok thanks! another question, should i gut load them while they're in the cage and then dust them just before i feed them to her?

23. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

yea.....that's what i do, I also put 1 of those water pillows in there too......they work pretty good & last quite awhile.

24. Pebo

Pebo New Member

oh ok! awesome! thanks a bunch

25. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

Dunno if anyone has seen this yet, but "Kritter Keeper" has a new keeper: Kricket Keeper. I bought a small one. It's slightly taller, and still has the top "window door" but it also has two plastic tubes, one diagonally in each side, with a clear cap on the ends sticking out.

The inside of the tubes are textured, so crickets can crawl up in them and take refuge. When you want to feed crickets, you pull a tube out and a little trap door slaps shut so no escapes. Cap the other end, dust 'em, and shake them into wherever you feed your lizards. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a good idea.

My local Petsmart sells it for $5.99 US for the small one (I saw a large one also, for $14.99). It's cheaper than "Cricket Corral" and overall seems much better.