Best Pet for 20 gallon long tank

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by draxus, Dec 27, 2007.

1. draxus

draxus New Member

My leopard gecko died a while back and Im ready to get another reptile, but not a another leopard gecko. I still have my 20 gallon long tank, what other nice lizards would live quite well in there. I kind of like the uromastyx and a collared lizard., but i think my tank is way too small. Any suggestions?

Thx

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. rinako

rinako New Member

That is to small for a uro or a collared lizard. You could get a crested gecko or a rankins dragon(it like a mini bearded dragon). Thats what I can think of right of the top of my head. Other people might have some better suggestions.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

No don't put a crested gecko in there, they are arboreal (climbing) geckos, they need at minimum a 20 gal Tall not long. If you turned your tank sideways and put a hinged screen door, some people do that for their cresties, that's the only way it would work for a crested. Which I highly recommend crested geckos, just make sure you fit their needs.
    Caresheet

Other geckos you could put in there would be several pictus geckos, just make sure there isn't more than one male, and if you don't want breeding going on make sure you get all females. I got a rather unexpected surprise with mine. Although they don't like being handled that much but they are great to watch, if you like watching great hunters.
    Caresheet

African Fat Tails are one of the better geckos for handling. They can survive in a ten gallon, but why not give them more room? Caresheet

There are lots of neat little geckos that only require a 10 gal enclosure, but you could always put a separator in that tank, turning it into two tanks. You don't have to get two different species, but say you want a male and female and don't want them breeding.

Viper geckos are awesome little geckos. They are more along the shy area, but they are great little hunters and fun to watch.
    Caresheet

Central American Banded geckos only require a 10 gal as well, but you could put several in a 20 gal or just separate the tanks as mentioned before. Caresheet

There's not many lizards that you can get that will stay in that tank forever, if you decided to get a lizard you would have to upgrade.

That's all I can think of now.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. draxus

draxus New Member

Thx all for the suggestions, I kind of like the idea of a rankin dragon, are they friendly or just leave em alone? Also anyone know of a good breeder for them?

Thanks again (still taking suggestions :D )

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kephy

kephy Moderator

I don't think a 20 gallon is big enough for a Rankins. I've always heard they need a minimum of 30 gallons. If you are interested in them, do some keyword searches in the Beardie forum, there have been plenty of discussions on their care and behavior in that section.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Schneider09Skinks

Schneider09Skinks Embryo

I would suggest something like anoles.