beared dragon help please

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by prandisi, Dec 30, 2012.

1. prandisi

prandisi Embryo

I have this 7-10 month old bearded dragon that was left in the my house. I have a nice 20+ size tank. He/she was eating lots of veggies greens fruits I was misting him he had a bath once a week He seemed very happy and tame.I had noticed he had this long red penis looking thing hanging from his rear end. I took him to the vet who said he was constipated and impacted and what I was seeing was his poo. Vet said it would either dry up and fall off or i had to bring him in and they would put a stich in. It looked like it was drying up as the end of this was truning black, Well it hasnt fallen off and only 1/2 of it is black He hasnt ate and hasnt pooed and is just hanging around He must be unfortable because he hangs out on his log and lets this thing hang over the edge of log I would hate to see him suffer. If the end is emminte i dont want to prolong it but I also cannot afford another 75.00 to put this pet to sleep.. What on earth do i do..

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Can you post any pictures of it for us to see?

It may have been a prolapse that, once covered in debris, appeared to be poo. Try to give the beardie a bath with some sugar dissolved into in to, and see if you can carefully and very gently clean the area. You'll also want to change the substrate to paper towel if you haven't already to prevent as much irritation to the area as possible.

How familiar is you vet with reptiles? If you aren't confident in your vet, consider looking at http://herpvetconnection.com to find an herp vet near you. Unfortunately, baths/sugar baths are all you can do in addition to keeping the beardie vet well hydrated. The water will enter his vent and help to loosen his stool while hydrating him, and sugar water encourages prolapsed tissue to return (sometimes). If he doesn't improve soon, another vet visit will certainly be in order.

prandisi likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. prandisi

prandisi Embryo

i will try the sugar water bath .. I took him to a vet that specialize in reptiles. He isnt very friendly at this point to pick him up. This has been going on for at least 2-3 weeks. Do I offer him food daily cause he isnt eating at all So I take out this sponge thingy and replace with toweling and soak him in sugar water. I do not have any experence with reptiles so all this is new to me.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Pictures would be very useful - we aren't qualified vets, just very dedicated reptile keepers and herpetoculturists so understand that our word should never be taken over that of a qualified herp vet. That being said, a picture can be worth a thousand words and me may be able to better guide on further action if we can take a peek at what's going on.

If it is a prolapse, it the result of his hemipenes and associated tissue being unable to re-enter the vent. This can be very serious and potentially fatal, and infection becomes a real cause for concern. This may be the result of parasites, impaction, or some other cause that will need to be determined by a vet (it can even occur at random). It seems as though your vet believes impaction is the culprit.

Baths are useful for impaction and for prolapses - if it is dried poo, hopefully it will begin to loosen and dissolve with some baths. In the even it is a prolapse that is covered in debris and feces, he'll probably need medical care. I fear for a prolapse, given what you've described.

I'm very sorry this event brought you here. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you and will be here for support if you have further questions or need anything.