Bearded Dragon vs Veiled Chameleon

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by CrestedGecko1991, Jan 25, 2005.

1. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

We have Chloe (a VC) and two bearded dragons. The dragons are easier totake care of. Then again, I don'
    t have that big of a problem with Chloe. I take her to the store with me once a week and take her outsidewhen the weather permits. She just hangs out on top of my head. She also eats superworms from my hand (IN A CUP) and generally hangs out. The biggest problem I have with Chloe is that they need running water or to be sprayed once a day. They cnanot be in a tank, they need the Fresh - Air Habitat, which can get pricey. We're had three. Twodied after the Hurricanes because we could not maintain the heat for my little babies. We also got Chloe when she was older (she was about 6 inches and now she's 10). She does require the same lighting as Bearded Dragons (UVB and heat).

As the cage goes, Chloe needs a lot of plant material, branches, bark, leaves, vines. The BD's only need a basking spot and a cool spot (I have much more in my cage however). If you want, Ic an send pics of both of my tanks.

-Julez

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

Oh yeah, the handling. One of the biggest things about VCs is that they need to be as high as they can get. That is why when I handle Chloe, I allow her to startfrom my hand and go anywhere she wants. She usually ends up at my head. I leave her there. You cnanot keep moving them around, that is what stresses them out the most.

-Julez

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dianedfisher

dianedfisher New Member

that's the same way my Chinese Water Dragons are! As soon as I get them out, they race to the top of my head! I always figured it was because they are arboreal creatures and feel safer high in the tree branches. I imagine it takes your cham a lot longer to manuver to your head than my dragons. I would love to have a chameleon but I feel I need a few more years experience first. LOL, by that time I'll be so old the chameleon will have to take care of me!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CricketFood

CricketFood New Member

Bearded dragons are way easier to keep and care for than chams. Their husnabdry requirements are easier, their social behavior is more suitable to human intereaction and they are a hardier species. While Velieds have the reputation of being the hardiest of the chameleons, they are still fragile in comparison to bearded dragons. For every one success story with VC, there are probably 10 fatal cases. Another thing to consider with chameleons is future health issues. Well, this is true with any species but with chameleons there are signs that even very experienced keepers miss which can be fatal. Every time a chameleon only has one eye open for instance, you have to think, "is something wrong"... might there be an abcess in the mouth, maybe it's vitamin toxcity, maybe it's vitamin defencicy, maybe it's just a grain of said, maybe it's nothing... Something as simple as a closed eye could be a fatal sign in a chameleon if ignored. This is just one example but there are more things that can go wrong than go right where chameleons are concerned. If you're looking for a species that you can handle and interact with, a bearded dragon is a much better choice.