Bearded Dragon vs Veiled Chameleon

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by CrestedGecko1991, Jan 25, 2005.

1. CrestedGecko1991

CrestedGecko1991 New Member

Hey, I'm trying to decide wether I should get a Bearded Dreagon or a Veiled Chameleon. I was wondering which won was easier to take care of and in the end which one would cost cheaper than the other after getting all the stuff that you would need for it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

bearded dragon is way easier to keep by far. any chameleon is a challenge even to the most professional of keepers. after all the stuff is bought for the herp, i would say that it is the same cost, except a beardie is cheaper then a cham

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Floyd_Is_My_Beardie Member

I think Bearded Dragons eat alot more then a Veiled Chameleon and i think a beardie also need alot more living space.
    Beardies need UVB/UVA, not to sure about a VC though.
    Sorry i can;t give you any information on the VC but i am sure there is some one that can.
    I personally would say a beardie might be alittle harder to look after, just because i have owned one and alot of people say they are a harder reptile to look after but i know Chameleons need alot of work as well like any reptile.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CrestedGecko1991

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

VC need everything a beardie needs, except way higher humidity, tons of fresh air, and they eat a lot of crix

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

12. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

I was just reading a care sheet on VC, and it seems they need the same amount of work and money put into them as a beardie does.
    Do the VC eat as much as a beardie though?

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

well it depends what you mean. they eat way more crix in a day then a beardie, but they do not eat veggies

14. xile

xile Member

Chamelons are the hardest reptiles to keep, care wise...

15. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Thanks KLiK for clearing that up. I always thought that chamelons didn;t eat anything. My friend had one and use to buy it ten crickets a week.
    So after reading care sheets and understand the VC i feel that they would be the same cost and both are not that easy to look after till you understand what you are doing with them. I guess every reptile is hard though and you really have to understand what the reptile needs are before you can committe to them.
    I am sure the VC is a great reptile, every reptile has a great personality.
    Good luck with your decison. :(

16. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Are Chamelons friendly?

17. dianedfisher

dianedfisher New Member

I have always read that Cheams are not supposed to be handled frequently. Beardies can come out and "play". I perosnally have Chinese Water Dragons (who can also come out to interact). I would recommend the Beardie unless you just want something to look at!

18. CrestedGecko1991

19. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the most a cham can do is maybe 10min every other day

20. GreenGod

GreenGod Member

my chamy i just bought today already loves me, already comes to my hand when i reach into the tank, IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE LIZARD. You may get a beardie who may hate to be handeled. Just make sure they are captive bred, and u get a checkup at the vets on arrival to your new home!!

21. dianedfisher

dianedfisher New Member

I may be wrong, as I do not own a cham, but I thought the handling issue was for the health of the cham NOT that they wouldn't come to you. Good luck with yours, but I'd be careful.

22. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

it is very rare to get a cham that looks to be held you are lucky.

diane: the health issue associated with handling is stress. chams usually get stressed out if they are being held

23. GreenGod

GreenGod Member

well the guy I talked to lllreptiles and they said most of their chams enjoy love, now I have a friend that hates it, but anothers who like another person on this forum goes everywhere with him like a dog. just sits on his shoulder, as long as u work with a cham from the time they are little there will be no handeling issue at all!! I can garuntee this, also females are more friendly - but 2b on the safe side i would go with a beardie. but like i said depends on the lizard.

24. GreenGod

GreenGod Member

remember there are even dogs that hate to be handeled, DEPENDS on the animal!!! good luck in ur chamy or beardie quest!

25. LuvMyLizards

LuvMyLizards Embryo

I own both a bearded dragon and a veiled chameleon (and a mali uromastyx). In general, chameleons are less social. They are slow moving, need less heat than a beardie, need more humidity than a beardie, usually are insectivores but have been known to munch on plant leaves, and require more specialized care. Beardies on the other hand are known to be very social and are not as difficult to keep. I have to agree that, as far as personality goes, with any animal it depends on their own unique identity and bond with you. You could end up with a really mean beardie or a very friendly chameleon. You just never know. My best advice would be to research information about them and their requirements before you make any decision.