Bearded Dragon Twitching!!!!!!please help!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Lolalovr1010, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Lolalovr1010 Embryo

Message Count:
    Ok so my bearded dragon has been acting very strange lately and i am worried that she is sick or impacted!! (this might have nothin to do with anything)but since we got her we've been feeding her romane lettuce and crickets. but the crickets were getting to spendy buying em every other day!! so i got sum meal worms. she loved em at first but the next day there was dead meal worm bodys in her cage i didnt no if she threw em up or pooped them out but it didnt seem right. yeh

Sooooo today i came home from school and her legs were twitching. she still eats crickets just not like she used to it seems shes almost scared to eat them. I've started to powder them more more. Then i gave her a warm bath and rubbed her tummy but then she had direa right in the tub. she also doesn't seem as active! PLEASE HELP!! i dont no of any vets that could help!! I dont want my little lola to die!!

Is she constipated? or is she dying!!!?
  2. Saucy Embryo

Message Count:
    Ok, first answer these questions:

OWNER INFO
    Is this your first bearded dragon?
    What area are you located in?

PERSONAL HISTORY (Dragon)
    Dragons name:
    Age, weight and length if you know?
    How long with you?
    What is his condition recently and if it changed, when?
    Is he active, clear eyes and bright?
    Is the beard, chest or tail tip darker than the rest or than normal?
    Walking/moving normally?
    Any physical features that do not appear normal?
    From Breeder or Pet Store (this may make a difference?
    Has he every been treated by a vet,
    If yes, for what and what meds were used/dosed and time if know?
    Basking or sleeping during the day?
    Is he going to the bathroom, how often? If not, when was the last time? Is it formed/normal or runny/smelly
    Alone or with others? If with others, what sex"?
    Soaking or misting at all and how often?

ENCLOSURE
    Set up info tank size?
    Temps -what do you use for heat?
    Basking point?
    Cool area?
    What are you measure it with?
    What Substrate?
    UVB Lights type (detailed) what brand, model, and length or wattage is How old?
    How close to UVB light when he bask?
    What hours for day/night?
    Do you use any type of nighttime heat, if so what?

FOOD
    How is his appetite? IS there a change?
    What size and how many/much insects does he eat?
    What do you feed the insects normally?
    Eating greens/veggies?
    Supplements:
    What kind of calcium/how often?
    What kind of vitamins how often
    How are these given to him?

Is there any additional information that might be of use? The more you can tell us, the better others can help you with suggestions.

Second, yes, crickets may get expensive, but mealworms are never to be used as a staple diet. They are easily impacted upon. Also, the twitching sounds like a calcium defiency, so it's really important you tell us what UVB bulb you're using and what calcium dusts you're using.

I'd also get to calling a reptile vet ASAP. Check out www.herpvetconnection.com or www.arav.org for one near you.
  3. Lolalovr1010 Embryo

Message Count:
    PERSONAL HISTORY (Dragon)
    Dragons name:Lola
    Age, weight and length if you know? age:about 11-12 weeks,weight:unknown,Length:10-11in(including tale)
    How long with you?we got her when she was six weeks old
    What is his condition recently and if it changed, when? Twitching legs started today
    Is he active, clear eyes and bright? kinda active clear eyes bright orange colors on face(good?) seems happy but not as active
    Is the beard, chest or tail tip darker than the rest or than normal? blackish beard at the bottom more
    Walking/moving normally? Sort of
    Any physical features that do not appear normal? no
    From Breeder or Pet Store (this may make a difference? Breeder
    Has he every been treated by a vet, no
    If yes, for what and what meds were used/dosed and time if know?
    Basking or sleeping during the day? both
    Is he going to the bathroom, how often? If not, when was the last time? Is it formed/normal or runny/smelly:she went today in the tub smelly and runny with white poop
    Alone or with others? If with others, what sex"? alone
    Soaking or misting at all and how often? misting everyday not as much bathing

ENCLOSURE
    Set up info tank size? long 20gallon
    Temps -what do you use for heat? uvb heat bulb, 100 watt bulb
    Basking point? 100-115
    Cool area? yes
    What are you measure it with?sticker thermometer
    What Substrate? ??like calci-sand?
    UVB Lights type (detailed) what brand, model, and length or wattage is How old? dunno buts its not old
    How close to UVB light when he bask? about 8in
    What hours for day/night? light turns off at 8 turns on at 7
    Do you use any type of nighttime heat, if so what? nope

FOOD
    How is his appetite? IS there a change? yes its better today
    What size and how many/much insects does he eat? medium crickets as much as she wants if enough
    What do you feed the insects normally? cricket quencher
    Eating greens/veggies? yes romane lettuce
    Supplements:
    What kind of calcium/how often? all reptile powder, not as much as i should
    What kind of vitamins how often
    How are these given to him?
  4. Javi Embryo

Message Count:
    If its 12 inches long your going to definetely want to consider a larger tank asap. calci sand is no good just do paper towel, tile or a rough surface to which have traction on. sticker thermometers are innacurate get digital probe or temp gun I have a mini temp gun from tempgun.com and it works great. look on the uvb bulb and it will tell you what it is and let us know. also mealworms are bad if buying crickets is getting you broke buy in bulk online 250-500-1000 at a time whatever suits you. also give them some good food like from cricketfood.com and serve 12-24 hours before the cricket is served the gutload. Romain lettuce is not a good staple go to the beautifuldragons website or the care sheet here that cheris has set up for a good salad (variety is good) Staples= dandelion greens, turnip greens, mustard greens
  5. Nessi New Member

Message Count:
    awwwww just a little guy. ok....Crix should be no bigger than the space between his eyes. Yes, tiny ones...very tiny. No Mealies! They have hard skin that causes impaction.

Take the calci-sand out. It looks pretty, but it isn't natural substance for beardies and they "taste" it, causing major problems including impaction. For little guys under a year, always just plain paper towel. It's simple to clean up and causes no problems.

The white "poop" in the tub is the urates (this is normal). If they are hard, she may be dehydrated a bit. Keep up with the soaking as it can help things keep "moving". With the medium crix (might be too big), and the calci-sand, she is probably impacted some. The baths will really help, but you need to lose the calci-sand and get some tiny crix. Absolutely no mealies (shell is too hard to digest), and Romaine Lettuce...I think I have read that that isn't the best either. I use Dandelion and turnip greens. Ness just gobbles it up. There is a list of greens they should be eating: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html Romaine is in the "rarely feed" color. There is lots of good stuff on there your dragon will love.

The UVB is extremely important. Make sure it is a UVB and not something some unknowing pet store worker told you you needed. I learned the hard way not to listen to them, but to come here for all I need as far as advice.

Hang in there...she'll come around.
  6. Drache613 Embryo

Message Count:
    Hello

Hello,

Sorry to hear about Lola.
    There are a few things that need some improvement. :)
    If you will look at the base of the UVB, it should tell the type & brand of the UVB. If it is an ESU then, it isn't a good light & isn't putting out any UVB. We recommend either a reptisun 10 or a reptiglo 8 or a reptiglo 10.
    The stick on type of thermometers aren't real accurate. They just measure the ambient temps & not the basking temps. We suggest either a digital probe or a temp gun for better accuracy.
    The temps are a bit high. We like to see the basking temps from 95-110 but no higher. Since he is in a 20 gallon tank, I am pretty sure she is getting too hot because there isn't enough room for thermoregulation. She is 10 or 11 inches long so she will be needing a larger tank really soon.
    Her beard is a bit blackened so that is indicating discomfort & or stress or just overall not feeling well.
    She is probobly partially impacted from the mealworms & possibly some calcisand.
    We don't recommend any loose substrates, especially sand. It does not digest & it clumps really hard in their tummies, causing impaction.
    As suggested, no mealworms, & the crickets are too large. The size rule is no larger than the space between their eyes.
    As far as calcium with D3, she should be getting that 5 times weekly & vitamins 2 times weekly.
    Some better foods are phoenix worms, silkworms, & crickets but no mealworms.
    OK, what you should do now. Get some extra fluids into her such as gatorade diluted down, or some diluted juice. Try some applesauce, & some softer foods such as squash babyfoods too. Is she passing any waste or just urates?
    Bathe & soak her daily, up to 20-30 minutes in warm water. Massage her belly on the right side gently prodding all of the way down towards the vent, to help break up any impaction fragments.
    Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
  7. Lolalovr1010 Embryo

Message Count:
    RE: Hello

Thanks,

She's doing better today and theres no twitching!!! Im gunna put sum paper towels or sum of that carpet stuff in there. The sand is becoming a problem anyway. The crickets that i get are usally small to medium but ill start getting small and i wont get the romane lettuce anymore.

Thanks again!!

and do they sell those dandelion stuff at like at the market? cuz its winter here and theres none to be found!
  8. Lolalovr1010 Embryo

Message Count:
    RE: Hello

Thanks,

She's doing better today and theres no twitching!!! Im gunna put sum paper towels or sum of that carpet stuff in there. The sand is becoming a problem anyway. The crickets that i get are usally small to medium but ill start getting small and i wont get the romane lettuce anymore.

Thanks again!!

and do they sell those dandelion stuff at like at the market? cuz its winter here and theres none to be found!
  9. Nessi New Member

Message Count:
    I'm glad things are looking up for you. Yes, they sell dandelion greens, turnip greens, mustard greens and collard greens at the market. You'll surely be able to find some sort of greens on the list of "need to feed daily" greens.
  10. Lolalovr1010 Embryo

Message Count:
    and i just put in papaer towels and got some mustard greens, and turnip greens. she's sleeping right now so ill see if she like em tomarrow
  11. Drache613 Embryo

Message Count:
    Hello

Hello,

Good to hear she is doing better & that you took out that sand. The tank will stay much cleaner this way.
    Did you look to see what type of UVB light you have currently? We do need to know that so we can know which way to direct you. The twitching is an external sign of usually a calcium & UVB problem.

Tracie