Bearded Dragon tank size

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by DancingRT, Mar 29, 2012.

1. DancingRT

DancingRT New Member

My bearded dragon (Skecher) is growing so quick...he/she was the size of my finger when I adopted him/her in December. Skecher is now about 5-6 inches snout to vent!!! I thought I would have until the end of the summer to get a new tank. He/she is in a 10 gallon tank now. I really think Skecher needs a bigger tank soon. What size would you all suggest? 40 or 50 gallon? And Exo Terra makes one I really like, and not sure about the 2 sizes...36x18x18 and 36x18x12.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

The preferred minimum size for an adult bearded dragon would be a 48" x 18" footprint to provide 6 square feet of floorspace; I'd go ahead and just upgrade to the adult enclosure soon once the coccidia has moved out of the system. Height isn't as important so long as he can come within the appropriate ranges of the lights for basking and UVB needs (we have a nice topic stickied in this forum about UVB basics).

Some keepers will keep them in a 40 gallon (36" x 18" x 17"). This is an OK size, but they really do appreciate and use the extra space that the 65 or 75 gallon will provide if you can accomodate it.