Ball Python or bearded dragon????

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by reptileluver, Mar 2, 2009.

1. reptileluver

reptileluver Embryo

Ok , I have a 3' x 16" x 25" cage for whatever I end up getting.
    I want to keep it under $400, I also want somthing I can really handle... Anybody have any Ideas of what You think would be the best?
    Comments and Suggestions are greatly apprecated! I'm leaning towards a ball python or bearded dragon, which is the best?
    I DON"T want any more leopard geckos
    I also at one point thought about BTS but I'm not sure.
    Please help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

If the 3' x 16" x 25 stands for LxWxH then I don't think it is big enough for an adult bearded dragon. You could raise a baby in it for maybe 6-8 months, but then you would need something bigger. Beardies need to width of the enclosure to exceed their length from nose to tail, so if you figure most average BDs get at least 18" long, then a cage that's only 16" wide is too small. If 25" is the width and 16" is the height, it would be fine.

If you're really asking us which we think is a better pet, well, you're in the bearded dragon forum. I think you'll find most of us favor them. :) You might get less biased opinions if you ask in the general discussion forum.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. beefcake

beefcake Member

well if its something you want to handle... and something u dont wanna watch sit in the same spot ALL the time... then get the bearded dragon

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

i agree bearded dragons are way better pets! you can go onto craigslist and find a great tank for cheap!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MimC

MimC Moderator

If you are trying to stay within the confines of your tank then go with a ball python. An adult BP would be very content in that tank. A bearded dragon would need a larger tank for an adult.

Both species are very docile and would be a great choice

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

I personally disagree. i think beardies are way better and you can always buy a bigger tank in the future. of course that is my opinion so decide for yourself.

12. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

Either pet is a great pet. I have two snakes myself and I love both my beardies and my snakes. I do admit that Beardies have more of a personality than snakes do, but it's about what you can comfortably afford.
    Don't forget that all animals need yearly vet visits, and exotic vets are not regularly priced! So, keep that in mind as you are budgeting.

You WILL have to buy a new tank for an adult bearded dragon - so keep that in mind too. If you really don't feel you may be able to afford a large tank (4x2x2, or 40gal breeder) and all the lights and setup costs (not sure how much research you've done in regards to setup costs - but lights are fairly expensive), the ball python is the way to go for sure.

Good luck!! Can't wait to see pics of the new baby no matter what you get! :D

13. MimC

MimC Moderator

Just a side note Dagger - 4x2x2 is a GREAT sized tank for a beardie - but its WAY bigger than a 40breeder. The closest standard tank size is a 75g or a 90g. A 40breeder is not big enough :D

14. kephy

kephy Moderator

40 gallon is often the recommend MINIMUM size for one adult beardie, but speaking as someone who's raised a beardie in that size tank (and he's not big, rather average sized) I don't recommend it because I still thought it was way too small. Yes he could turn around comfortably in it, but that's about all he could do. So I don't like 40 gallons for BDs.

15. MimC

MimC Moderator

I agree - afterowning a few beardies i never recomend a 40breeder, 75g is the smallest tank i recomend, larger is better. Once you add a big sturdy basking branch, +/- something for the cool side they are already almost out of room, even in a 75!

16. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry I know that 4x2x2 is way bigger than a 40 gal. I just didn't type that clearly I guess, lol. I have my beardie in the 4x2x2, and it still seems to small for him.