Ball python enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by geckolover22, Feb 7, 2013.

1. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

So getting prepared for the little lesserbee I'm hoping to pick up this season and I'd like to build my special lil girl's enclosure. So where to start? Would wood and plexiglass be okay? If so what kind of wood? Maple, walnut, oak? Or is it personal preference with wood types? Or just bypass all that completely and go with melamine and plexiglass? I was thinking making it wood with something like a plexiglass sliding door or swinging open doors. Sorry for all the questions any input would be much appreciated! Thank you ^_^

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Any wood is fine :) Well, I guess I wouldn't use Pine because of the sap, but other than that I think they should all be good. It's all just personal preference and how heavy/durable you want the tank to be :) Look around in the enclosure forum for ideas and for what other people have used as far as materials go....

Oh! I just found what I had posted for someone else as far as material choices:
    Generally the following materials are "ok" to use but be mindful of the environment where you will be using them:
    -Store bought wood pieces that are appropriately sized for your reptile's weight (be weary of decking material or treated wood, these sometime have harmful chemicals that can out-gas when you have a basking spot or UTH on them)
    -Reptile Carpet
    -Tile (texturized- not slick)
    -Grout (don't purchase the mildew resistant kind, that type out-gasses and has high amounts of copper and zinc in it which may harm your reptile)
    -100% Silicone (good for high temps and humidity)
    -Stones - Riverbed stones, slate tiles, patio stones, bricks, etc.
    -Plywood (sealed), Melamine, etc.
    -Styrofoam or "Great stuff" foam insulator as long as it is properly covered with another safe material (silicone, grout, ecoearth, cocofiber, etc.)
    -Fake plants - Plastic or fabric, just please be mindful of lights and heating elements
    -Plywood and other wood building material - I have never used pressure treated and wouldn't recommend it because of the amount of chemicals used to preserve the wood but non-pressure treated wood is a great material to use

geckolover22 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your help :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ReptileLover789

ReptileLover789 New Member

I am looking to build a mulite cage system kinda like multiple tanks stacked but I want to make it out of wood and plexi glass and I would also like to just have to build one at a time so I don't have empty tanks just laying around is there a way I can do this without having to have one big unit and also how big do they have to be for a ball python and for a Columbian red tailed boa

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Honestly unless you're looking for visibility, a 2 dollar sterilite shoebox from Walmart works awesome. Holds heat and humidity amazing.

As for wood, don't use any soft woods. Pine/Cedar/etc. They contain Phenols which are toxic to herps. A form of phenol is in neosporin, which is why that is discouraged for reptile use. If you are dead set on visibility, I'd go with PVC over anything, but melamine would be a close second. Plexiglass should be fine, so long as the edges remain within the track, otherwise sand them down.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ReptileLover789

i was planning on useing melimine with real glass i found some old glass in my barn if i clean it will it be fine

12. ReptileLover789

the shoeboxes i have looked at are too small and i used to be a ball python breeder but i moved and sold everything racks and all so now i want vision tanks so i dont have to open the cage to see if they are looked up or not

13. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Gotcha. Well melamine and glass/plexi are your best bet I would say. It's just going to be a challenge holding heat and humidity in.

ReptileLover789 likes this.
  14. ReptileLover789

i know melamine hold humidity and heat very well but i live in a rual comunity and cant find any melamine

15. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Try your local tractor supply. If not, Lowes/Home Depot usually has some if there is a store near you. It's always possible that a mom and pop hardware store could get some as well.

16. ReptileLover789

there is a city that sells it but its a hour drive and how much would a 6*3*3 encloser cost to build im am makeing two one for a red tailed boa and one for a savana moniter

17. ReptileLover789

and were could i find plexi glass

18. supernova

supernova Member

Any local hardware or building supply store can get what you need, if not, try a local builder or remodeling contractor. The Plexiglass is going to cost you as plastics are way up and have been for a while, I paid $100 for a 2x6 piece. I haven't built an enclosure out of melamine but I did use it for a 10 place snake rack. It ran me about $40 a sheet and took 2 sheets of it. The last enclosure I build I used plywood stained,SEALED, and then lined the inside with kitchen counter-top laminate. Just to note: melamine is very heavy wood product so take care on thickness when ordering or you will need a fork lift to move it, exaggerated a bit but I nearly obtained a feminine side after moving my rack in from the shop.

19. ReptileLover789

how much is glass going for

20. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Glass is going to still be up there, and is going to be sharper and more fragile. Not to mention heavier. melamine normally runs 35-40 a sheet where I am, and as supernova said it's pretty heavy. I just finished remodeling a room, and we used melamine for siding. A 4x8 sheet weighed upwards of 60 pounds if not more.

21. ReptileLover789

im not planning on moveing them but once or twice so im not to concerned about weight just cost and i dont want to use plywood cause i dont like the looks of it

22. ReptileLover789

and how much would a 6*3*3 with sliding glass doors encloser weigh

23. supernova

supernova Member

Plywood can be beautiful if you stain and seal it. This is my 6x2x2 enclosure That I built. I have around $400 wrapped up in including heat,thermometer/humidity gauges, and thermostat. I lined the inside with a tiger-wood look laminate. Added some scrolls to the front and it looks like a piece of walnut furniture and weighs half as much as a melamine enclosure.

The second pic is a critter condo 4x that retails for around $1000-$1200. Each level is 4x2x2 and is made of melamine with glass and the casters are a must as this thing is a beast to move. You can see in the picture I connected the two upper level compartments for my iguana so she has a basking area above and a feeding/potty (aspen litter box) area below. She is free roam a lot so this works for her. The lower unit is where my savannah is and she is growing fast and being trained for fee roam but she will be upgrading soon.

Attached Files:

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  24. ReptileLover789

ok now im planning on useing plywood but dont know how thick it needs to be i want to stack them and have the lighting inside so will plywood hold all of that weight

25. supernova

supernova Member

I used 1/2" CDX hardwood (DO NOT USE PINE OR CEDER), for the trim and center support I used oak 1"x3". I can stand on mine and it holds my fat but no problem. Just make sure you have upright suports at least every 3-4 feet on the open side depending where the weight sits. A savannah needs to be on the bottom because all the dirt needed for them to burrow in. If you use CDX it is cheaper put plan on time sanding with a power sander before staining (optional) and sealing (must do) seal it with a water base urethane and let it cure for about 2 days then use aquarium sealant to go around the inside edges to keep it from leaking when they defecate or spill water then let sit open air for about a week for everything to cure and all the toxic fumes to clear out, wash it down with a disinfectant (bleach/water) and your ready for tenants.

StikyPaws312 likes this.