Baird Rat snake not eating well

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Stacie3071, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Stacie3071

Stacie3071 Embryo

I bought a Baird rat Snake on August 24, 2013 and she is about 4 years old.

Everything went well for about the first month, except for a very bad shed that came off in very many pieces about a week after we got her, she ate well, but about a month ago she began to nose rub a lot and very hesitant to eat.

I went to smaller adult mice feeding her two weekly on or about Oct 9,she would not one of her mice I thought it might be because it got wet during warming. I tried to feed her again the next day and she took one mouse. I have noticed what I think is coughing a little when I handle her. tried to feed her again about a week later and she would not eat, so I waited 5 more days before offering again. I have been feeding her in her cage. Do I need to be feeding in something different?

I thought maybe she didn't like the mice that I had or that they were getting old. So I bought to rat pups. Which I bought and feed her this past Friday. And this morning (Monday) she threw one of them up. She also pooped this morning.

I have her in a 40 gallon tank with 2 hides and 2 thermometers and a large water bowl. With aspen shavings and over head lightening using a 60 watt bulb and a UTH and switched to a 60 watt black light bulb at night. the warm end of the tank seems to stay at around 95* give or take. Cool end seems to stay around 75* give or take. She has not shed since September 10th, but she has been rubbing her nose and head enough to rough up the scales over her eyes. The humidity seems to be on average 35-40 percent.

Is her throwing up and not eating something I should be worrying about? How long should I wait before offering her food again? Thank you in advance for your help.

Attached Files: