Baby iguana question

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by polar, Dec 1, 2010.

1. polar

polar Embryo

So i'm going to get a baby red iguana soon. And ive been trying to do alot of research. I plan on building an enclosure myself, 6' tall 4' long 3' wide. But i was wondering if that will be too big for a baby? Should i wait to make a big one and get a smaller temporary one for now? I would like to find out that way i can continue planning my enclosure, or get a temporary one and put it on hold. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Welcome to the forums, Polar = )

I don't honestly know much about igs, but experience with other herps would prompt me to suggest a smaller home for a baby iguana. The enclosure that you are talking about building sounds like it would be adequate for an adult (correct me if I'm wrong, as I said I know very little about igs) but generally young herps do much better in a smaller, more controlled environment. This has been true for my rearing of crested geckos that I've bred, my ball pythons, boas, and bearded dragons. Young animals typically stress out easily in a large enclosure, so its usually best to start them off in something smaller and work them up into the adult sized cage. Perhaps when your little guys has some size on him and is in the sub-adult range he can be moved up to his adult enclosure.

For now, you could build something relatively basic or try searching craiglist for smaller aquariums...maybe something in the 40gallon range? Again, I'm not sure what a baby ig requires space wise or how quickly they grow - perhaps someone else can give some insight.

Just wanted to give my .2 and experience with young animals - My ball pythons will stress out if placed in anything too large and refuse food, and I noted that some of my smaller geckos prefered to stay hidden in a small, safe hide when the enclosure was too large.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. polar

polar Embryo

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm going to take your advice and build a 4' tall 2' long 2' wide enclosure for now. If anyone could give me some advice on lighting and heating that would be really helpful, as to what light bulbs and fixtures to get. I have an idea as to what to get from things I've read, but i would feel better getting advice from experienced owners. Thank you any and all input is appreciated.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I'll address this based on my experience with bearded dragons - another diurnal species that requires UVB producing light in order to properly metabolize calcium D3 (along with some other things).

There are many types of fluorescent and MVB bulbs out there that produce UVB, the Repti-Sun 5.0 would do the trick if the animal can get within 10" or so of the bulb while basking for a flo bulb, these are known to produce a good amount of UVB rays over a longer duration than many other bulbs on the market. I think Cheri Smith has made an article regarding UVB outputs...it may be in our Bearded Dragon database in the Care Sheets section or on its own somewhere.

As for Mercury Vapor Bulbs, I'd highly recommend the megarays. Check out the website: http://reptileuv.com

They are more pricey, but have a high UV output and can also produce decent heat for you...I'm not sure what the basking spot of an ig needs to be. If you drop Bob an email with details about your cage and that its for an ig, he will gladly hook you up with exactly what you need. The guy is great, and he works with iguanas and funds conservation efforts for them. The MegaRays are a little priceier, but they dont need replaced as often and they are literally the best thing out there.

Keep in mind the flo bulbs will not produce heat, only the UVB/UVA rays the animal needs, heat source can be supplemented with a simple household incandesent bulb. The MVB's will produce both heat and light waves

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. polar

polar Embryo

Thanks a lot you really helped out. My setup is gonna come in the mail tomorrow, and ill order my iguana in a few days once i get it set up and the temp right. ill also be sure to upload some pics :p

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. iguana20s

iguana20s Embryo

i would start of with a smaller cage but for a adult that is a great size! current my iguana oscar is in a 3 feet high 3 feet long and 18 inches deep cage he is right now 14 inches long and 5 months old. this cage will last him about a 1-1 1/2 years. this is about the right size for a baby- small sub adult. i hope this helps. also i recommend building his cage out of glass or plexie glass as it keep in the humidity needed for iguanas and you can easly see your little guy. i hope you are doing alot of reaserch to house one of these amazeing animals. has they are no begginers pet and need more then most animals. for all your iguana need i recommend green iguana society