Baby Green Iguana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by pirategrayson, Oct 31, 2010.

1. pirategrayson

pirategrayson Embryo

Hey,

My names Grayson and about a month or two ago my boyfriend and I purchased a baby green iguana which was, at the time about 10 inches long. During the beginning, my boyfriend and I used 20 gallon fish tank he had laying in his garage, which we cleaned. The habitat then had newspaper at the botom of the tank, with two bowls we picked up from the pet store (one filled with water, the other greens and veggies), and it also had a stick which it loved to lay on. The top of the cage wasn't the metal wired/screen tops, but one of those typical fish tank tops with one little opening to place food in (however it was easy to open). The lights we had in there were two, long shaped "Sun Glo" 25W daylight UVA lights. We had those on 24/7 (which I know may not be good for the iguana). The temperature varied between 85-90 during the day, and 75-85 at night.

The first month, I was constantly worried and watching the iguana closely (unfortunately, my boyfriend and I haven't came to an agreement on a name just yet). The way that it's belly would change shape after eating worried me, and all sorts of things. A few days ago, my boyfriend bought a 55 gallon tank as well as a few others with tons of light fixtures, logs and what not from a family friend of his who had different lizards over the past years.

Once we got the 55 gallon tank, my boyfriend and I cleaned everything and set up the tank for the iguana. We placed newspapers on the bottom just as before, and placed the food bowl in, as well as two bigger logs which the iguana could lay on and climb under. There were two lights, which to me remind me of the lights one would place over a fish tank, which we placed on one side of the tank, then placed the two "Sun Glo" lights we had from the fish tank on the other side.

Once we placed the iguana, it seemed fine and dandy. A few hours later, we came back to check on the iguana (we had to do some work) and it was laying under one of the logs, completely still. My boyfriend and I immediately began to worry and my boyfriend tried making loud noises which normally caught the iguanas attention quiet easily. After getting no response, I immediately picked up the iguana and held it, barely getting a response and feeling that it was very very cold. After about two seconds, thankfully, it opened its eyes and squiggled a little bit. I held it to keep it warm and we decided to try placing the "Sun Glo" lights closer to the iguana in the cage. It began to warm up a little bit, but a little while later, after probably half hour, it returned under the log and was ice cold again. So, that night, we decided to return it to the fish tank and keep it there till the morning - it was fine once in there.

The day after, we went to PetSmart and purchased one 150 W Infrared "Heat Glo" lamp which we placed on one side of the tank over the larger log, and then purchased two "Repti Basking Spot Lamps" which are 100 W UVA bulbs which we placed over the other side of the tank. Right now, we don't have any other lights besides those two different bulbs. Under the heat lamp, the degrees during the day vary between 90-100 degrees (F), and at night its between 85-95. Under the basking lamp, the temperature during the day is 85-95 degrees (F), and at night it's 80-90 degrees (F).

My boyfriend and I are constantly checking on the iguana, making sure all is well. Now, thankfully, it seems a lot more active and what not, but I still am worried that we're not providing the right light sources, and/or that we're providing it with too much light and it needs some type of night light.

Also, the iguana, we've come to notice, is a very deep sleeper. This really scares us sometimes when we wake up and see it's passed out laying it's head against the tank and won't respond to us talking to it up close or anything of the sort. Is that normal?? Or is there any chance there could be something wrong?? And is there anything we can do to make it any better for it or happier?

Here's a picture of the iguanas habitat right now:

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the iguana:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's currently just about a foot long, and we're curious to know if it's a boy or girl. At first I believe it was a girl, but now I'm thinking it may be a boy. I know how to tell, but I believe it's still too young to tell. (By the way my boyfriend and I are both 18 and new iguana owners. Plus I'm a huge worry wart!)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Welcome to RRF
    First off sorry no one responded earlier
    But first i would suggest paper towel isntead of newspaper
    Also, at night shut off the white light, just keep on the red light
    If hes eating okay, and pooping good, and is normally active, than your doing good,
    And the thing about being a deep sleeper, im pretty sure thats fine
    Let him out once and a while too, let him run around, get some activity obviously monitored
    And, if hes getting propper food, and pooping
    I think your doing great than
    Any other questions just ask : )
    Thanks,
    Anthony

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. pirategrayson

pirategrayson Embryo

I was wondering what other type of bedding we could use for it and/or what type of towel exactly? We're scared it gets too hot, or too cold. If we turn off the basking lamp, we don't think that the heat from the heat lamp gets to the other side of the tank as well and it'll get too cold.

The iguana loves to stay underneath the bedding, climb and crawls under it and sleeps there a lot though we have something it can go under. It also tries to find ways to get out of the cage, and manages to jump onto the screen top which I'm scared it'll burn itself on the heat lamp :/ What can we do??

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. iguana20s

iguana20s Embryo

alright first off the 55 gallon tank is only going to last him 6 months. also your iguana is beautifull! wow his blue head is amazeing! but you need a uvb bulb! this is a most with most lizards as it helps with them digesting and prevent MBD. youll need to build him a custom cage 3 feet high 3 feet long and 18 inches deep to start with use this untill he is about 2-21/2 feet long. then go to 6 feet high 4 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep for a adult iguana. that red light is night needed at all and your basking lamp should not be on 24/7. they will get stressed out stop eating and have mood changes. for your lighting needs visit uvreptiles and for all your iguana needs visit green iguana society . sorry for the late respond i just joined this forum 10 minutes ago lol