baby corn threw up his food! Now looks thin!

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by eunice, Nov 8, 2004.

1. eunice

eunice Embryo

I fed my baby corn snake a pinky which it seemed to have no problem eating....then like 3 days later acter like 2 poops it regurgetated the pinky or what was left of it which was half or so into the cage and now it looks thin??? What would cause this to throw its food back up after 3 days? I put another pinky in there but not ate yet. I was wondering what is going on also, it has pooped since so i am sooo confused it has been acting A ok all this time until this incident tonite. Please help if you can. What do I need to do about feeding its been 2 weeks since it was fed due to everyone being out of pinkies so now when should I try and feed again so it doesnt starve?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SCSnakeman

SCSnakeman Embryo

I think that if he threw up food after three days the temperature must be too cool in the cage. Get two good thermometers and put one in each end of the cage. Also, while you are at it put a heating pad under one end of the cage. Be sure the heating pad doesn't have an auto cut off. Try to get one end of the cage to 80~85 degrees and the other end about 75~80 degrees. Also, have at least two hides in the cage, one on each end. If you are already doing this, I don't know what else to try but snakes do need it warm to be able to digest their food and corns seem to have have digested their food after a couple days. I hope this helps.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I think I would have to agree. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of that could be the problem. Three days seems to be a long time for a snake to go before regurging, especially while still having bowel movements. If there is still intestinal movement, then there is no blockage, which means that the food could have gone through. So the problem seems to be in the stomach. So I would suggest the same as SCSnakeman, check your temps and try a heating pad or UTH to help heat or redistribute the heat.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. eunice

eunice Embryo

I checked the temps and everything checked out and sadly my baby corn snake died today

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like it may have been some sort of intestinal parasite. That too bad. They can be hard to diagnose and sometimes new snakes will have them when purchased and you can't tell. Have you had the snake long? If it was a recent purchase, you may want to notify the breeder to let them know that others may be ill and you may be able to get your money back. I know that sounds harsh but it's only fair if you were sold a sick animal, the breeder is responsible. If you have other snakes, I'd have a vet check them out asap for parasites.
    Sorry again to hear about your loss.