Baby Corn not eating

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Melinda666, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

Purchased a baby corn about a week and a half ago. On the way home the snake ate a live pinky with no problems. I have been trying to feed F/T pinkies for the last week. The snake tried to eat a F/T pinky but only got it half way down and then spit it back out. Now the snake doesn't want anything to do with the F/T pinky. I also tried a live pinky and the snake wouldn't touch it either. I've tried cutting the pinky's in half and using Mouse Maker. Snake won't go near the food. Although the snake seems to be exhibiting hunting behaviours.

enclosure is 10 gallon
    repti bark substrate
    2 hides
    1 driftwood
    under tank heat mat
    uv light during the day
    ceramic heat at night

tank humidity between 20-40%
    warm side of tank temps between 80-90 degrees

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

Update. Poor little Chili was found dead in his enclosure this morning. He had a pretty bad case of mites when I purchased him, I treated him with a 5 hour soak and picked the dead mites off. Died about 5 days later. He seemed weak, so I believe he was just too weak to survive. He will be missed greatly.

We have gotten a larger white corn snake and hopefully this guy will survive.

I am treating the enclosure. Hot soapy bleachy soak for everything that can be soaked and a nice long bake in the oven for the driftwood.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Chili.... where did you buy it that it had mites???

Hit the "Search" function at the top of this page and search for "mites" or "mite treatments". There is a LOT of really good information about treating them.
    Click this link: http://www.reptilerooms.com/index.php?name...mp;mode=results Then type in "mites" in the Search by Keyword field.
    If you have put the new snake in the same enclosure as Chili was in get it out immediately. If it was an illness that the other snake had there is a chance that the new snake either has it now or could catch it. At a minimum the new snake could end up with mites also.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I thought most corns were CBB these day. Aren't they stormy? I'd also think twice about getting anything else from wherever it is you got the first one. Somethin' just doesn't seem right there. Wether it be their lack of cleaning between enclosures or snakes or whatever.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

CBB?? Please excuse my ignorance. I am a new snake owner. After Chili died, the pet store gave us another snake. After watching the new snake's behaviour, I believe little Chili was sick from the beginning. I did treat Chili for the mites with a long soak in warm water, then picked the dead mites off. 4-5 days later he died. The new snake is much more active. I have checked it over for mites and found none so far. The pet store lady did tell me she had an outbreak of mites and had to treat everyone. She recommended that I not use repti-bark and use a paper product that they sell.

Before I put the new snake in the enclosure, I took the enclosure apart and soaked everything in a solution of hot soapy bleach water. Including the tank. The driftwood went into the oven at 350 degrees.

Thanks for all the help!! I found more information here than I did in the book I bought on corn snake care.

Crossing my fingers that the new snake is healthy.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wideglide

We're definitely glad to help out!! I'd say you got everything sterilized pretty well. CBB means captive bred and born. Basically the parents are bred and produce offspring while in captivity. This is opposed to CB which means captive born(gravid wild caught animals give birth in captivity) or WC which means wild caught (the animal was taken right from the wild and sold to you). The mites are a sign an animal is wild caught but not always and if I'm not mistaken most corns these days are all CBB. Hopefully stormy will back me up because I'm not 100%.

12. susyq

susyq Member

i noticed that your temp is a bit high at 90, your temp should be 75 - 84 at the warm end, also the humidity should be 50%+. sorry to hear about the loss, hope your new one does better repti bark should be fine as a substrata and they do like to burrow in the chippings/bark

13. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

I will reduce the heat in the warm end. The snake seems to stay on the cooler end.

Also, what are the numbers that I keep seeing such as 1.0, 0.1, 1.2.2, etc... Some kind of special snake club lingo?? May I join?

14. wideglide

9.1.0 = Nine Males, One female and zero unsexed animals.

First digit = Number of males.
    Second digit = Number of females.
    Third digit = Number of unsexed animals.

15. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

Thanks a bunch. That clears things up!! I guess I have 0.0.1

16. gadd19

gadd19 Member

sorry to hear about your loss. susyq is right, raise your humididty, low humidity will cause poor shedding, and possibly respiratory problems.
    also, ive tried a few substrates with my girl, and she seems to like a product called "forest floor" more than "reti-bark." good luck with your newbie