Baby Alligator enclosure?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by lizardsspiderandsnakesomy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. lizardsspiderandsnakesomy

lizardsspiderandsnakesomy New Member

We totally understand that we are not going to be able to cuddle up with the little guy, but we feel that we are capable of taking on the responsibility of caring for him... we understand the dangers, the expense, and the time involved in caring for him.

I was only looking for some reliable sources of information... similar to what conny63malies (thank-you, by the way) provided. We just like to read up on all the different sources... to take in all the information out there... to insure that we are properly caring for our new herp...

Thanks... Emma

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardsspiderandsnakesomy

lizardsspiderandsnakesomy New Member

If only a gator was like an iguana. Then this could be true, but as previously stated a gators brain is tiny. They are built to kill and have the instinct to kill no matter what.[/quote]

I understand the point of view that you have but I disagree. Yes, a gator has a very small brain and the chance is very good that he will never bond with a human. But the point that I disagree with is when you say that they are built to "kill" and have a "killer instinct". That makes them out to be some sort of a monster. They have instinct to hunt and eat, and instinct to be territorial and defend their home. But that doesnt make them cold-blooded killers, well, the killer part anyway. These are really beautiful animals and too many people take their natural instincts and make them out to be awful monsters.
    Thankyou everyond for the helpful information.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

A' MEN!

:), sorry, it seemed like a good thing to say at the moment. I totally agre with lizardsspiderandsnakesomy. Gators (or crocs) only have one thing on their mind, Hunting and territory. Killer instinct takes route to where some one will judge it for its only survival. gators cant have bonds because of their brains, but it doesnt matter. Being a member of the family, it could be thought of having a bond.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wschippr

wschippr New Member

Well American alligators are suppose to have better dispositions than other crocodilians, and many crocodilians owners would agree. I am not an owner of crocodilians and have no plans of doing so, 14 reptiles does not qualify you as experienced by the way. When I was eight I had 9 leopard geckos and a dozen or so anoles, plus my two red-eared sliders, was I anywhere near close enough to be owning a crocodilian? As for the cost of feeding being overly expensive I think was incorrect. Breeding rabbits can reduce the cost, going to livestock auctions and buying cheap donkeys, cows, or whatever (the Toronto zoo uses horse meat) and getting it butchered would drastically reduce costs, as you can see there is many ways to reduce the costs of keeping it. While UV may not essential it is at least beneficial I would suggest adding it. Keep the water heated to about 75, never feed by hand, the basking spot should most likely be around 95. http://crocodilian.com/crocfaq/ here is a great website on care (although it actually discourages keeping of crocodilians, as most respectable website should). But the size you said should be large enough for it. Handle it twice daily to tame it down, remember most animals can become accustomed to humans. And be sure to buy duct tape and welding gloves. One last website http://www.anapsid.org/aligato.html

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Byrn

Byrn New Member

The only thing I have to say is that your basement might not be the best place for it, no sun loving animal the size of a gator should have to live in a basement. Build him a nice secure outdoor cage, he can come inside during the colder months. Enjoy handling him while you can. ^-^

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sputty

Sputty New Member

They're built killers and have a killer instinct, all predators like that do and if you can't realize that that's how these animals work you're probably going to regret it fast. Their natural instincts make them that, they're not monsters, just animals and thats how these animals work.

You may want to consider going with an outdoor enclosure as an adult if you live in a warm area because I can imagine lots of issues with keeping it inside, enclosure size, lighting and electricity costs could become unmanageable and you could even have wood rot and other house problems from a semi-aquatic, humid enclosure inside that takes up an entire basement. Also an outside enclosure will be easier to manage as a large enclosure, you can just add a pool and some specific heating areas if it gets a bit cooler and you'll save a lot by not having to have dedicated UV lighting.

12. turtlestork

turtlestork New Member

They aren't built 'killers' they are built hunters. They can hunt and take down their prey. There is a big difference between a killer and a hunter. A killer kills just to kill, which alligators do not do, while a hunter kills to live.

13. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

Sputty and Turtlestork this thread has already lived to its purpose... MAr. 26.... to April 23.

14. Ulong

Ulong New Member

Some of u guys are so opinionated, hell enjoy your gator learn as much as you can about them, take care of em, and dont let it eat anybody or yourself. People thats all we can really say at this point. I don't think anyone is gonna change his mind, hell I know I wouldn't gators are cool.

15. beefcake

beefcake Member

if u can look at how big croc/alligator owners take care of them on animal planet they have a big fenced in enclosure with a chain link fence and a dug out pool filled with liner and plenty of grass room to move around in...............so i would suggest you do something like that after it gets to big for a viv........but until then jus make a viv with dirt a lil pond and some good hides and make sure to feed it bugs ...like crickets or roaches......... thats what most baby american alligators eat when they are young in the marshlands of the everglades when they have to escape predators like crab and those birds that sweep the marsh with their beaks..........i hope this helped if not............cool lol