Awww... those poor Iggies!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by napolean951, Jan 17, 2005.

1. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

I was recently in the petstore at the mall looking at their Iguanas, and I was absolutely appalled at their condition. There was barely any water in their dish, the tank was filthy from dropped food and feces, and the only indication of what they were being fed was a few dead crickets in the enclosure, and some iceburg lettuce. I must say it was a sad sight. If I had more experience raising igs and had the space for all three of them I would have snatched them up right there and saved them from a terrible fate, being sold to some ignorant child who talked their parents into buying one of the fifteen dollar lizards because according to the salesperson said that they were "Easy and fun to keep. They make great beginner reptiles"
    I am sure that those three iguanas are NOT happy, and are most likely so stressed that they are contemplating jumping off of their single climbing branch in the hopes that they no longer have to suffer.
    Does anyone have any idea of how I could report this to someone? If so please reply. ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

you need to report this to the usda (united states department of agriculture). they typically control most of the guidelines for animals and animal keeping. i'm sure there's a link on www.usda.gov for people to report things like this. you could also report them to the humane society or try contacting the local city governent. a last resort would be to contact an organization like peta, but usually they don't do anything productive - just march around outside the building for a few hours. if you want real action, then consider contacting the usda, humane society, or local government organizations.